AER Amp Three vs AER Bass Cube 2

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by TheDellow, Feb 19, 2022.

1. TheDellow

TheDellow The Recovering Guitarist Supporting Member

May 19, 2021
    Has anyone been able to compare the two of these amps? I currently have the Amp Three, which has a low end and a presence on stage that I really love for how small it is—but I’m looking into finding a Bass Cube 2 because I can use the two separate channels to double on upright bass and electric, and it seems like it has a Speakon output for a passive extension speaker (right?).

Questions:

Is the Bass Cube 2 as loud, girthy and present as the Amp Three?

It looks like the Bass Cube 2 has a Speakon output for a passive extension speaker, is this true?

Thank you so much for the help!

2. PaulCannon

PaulCannon

Jan 24, 2002
    Frankfurt, Germany
    NS Design / AER Endorsing Artist
    I visited the AER factory last year and was able to try all four of their current bass amps. Unfortunately, the Bass Cube is no longer in production.

I ended up buying a Basic Performer 2, which was their best option for double bass and EUB.

I thought the Amp Two was their best option for electric bass guitar, but didn't sound as good with the acoustic. The Amp Three is just a more compact version of that.

They're all really great amps. It's more a question of taste and priorities.

3. TheDellow

May 19, 2021
    Yeah I’ve actually just sold my Amp Three because I noticed there is a mid hump that I wasn’t able to EQ out. I sold it in favor of my AI Coda R Series III, which is a much more transparent and flat amp. Are you able to compare the sound of the Basic Performer to the AI Coda?

4. PaulCannon

PaulCannon

Jan 24, 2002
    Frankfurt, Germany
    NS Design / AER Endorsing Artist
    No, sorry.

TheDellow likes this.
  5. TheDellow

May 19, 2021
    Well I may just have to buy one then lol

Povl Carstensen likes this.