Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aerodyne or Dirnt

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cecile, Apr 3, 2005.

What do you like better

Poll closed Apr 13, 2005.
  1. Dirnt P-bass

18 vote(s)
    19.6%
  2. Aerodyne Jazz

43 vote(s)
    46.7%
  3. they both suck

31 vote(s)
    33.7%
  1. ok so I went to Guitar Center a few hours ago and played a Mike Dirnt P-bass, it was pretty cool! A few days ago I played an Aerodyne jazz that I also liked. I'm planing to buying something after I sell my musicmaster and I would like it to be around $500 or $600 because I have some store credit that I need to spend. What do you guys like better, aerodyne or dirnt?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  3. Aerodyne. Played the Dirnt but I wasn't impressed. Looks better too!!

4. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    definately aerodyne...

5. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
  6. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I don't really like the aerodyne's tone. It looks cool, but it's not a bass I would use.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm a P-bass guy and can't stand the radiused top of the Aerodyne. Dirnt for me.

8. Joe Martin

Joe Martin

Mar 23, 2005
    Frederick, MD
    Yea the radius'd top of the aerodyne just doesn't feel right, and as much as I love my Geddy Lee, I have promised myself I will never buy a black bass again as long as I live.

Sooooo muuuuucch cleaninnnnng...

Anywho, I think that the dirt is a better buy, badass II bridge, and very cool vintage looks, suits the bass well, I've always been a fan of tele headstocks myself. I am not, however, a fan of P/J configs. (I have yet to play a P/J I liked...) Plus the aerodyne felt very unbalanced in my hands, like the neck was a whole helluva lot heavier than the body, I dunno. Just find a store that carries them and A/B them if possible and take the one you like.

9. Does anyone have any pics of a sunburst dirnt, i can't seem to find any. I saw an aerodyne once with a pg (i can't remember where) is there any way that I could order one with a pg?
    thanks

10. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I prefer the Dirnt. Just feels right to me :D

11. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    All other factors aside, the Aerodyne will be consistently better made and hold up longer. This goes for all Japanese v. Mexican Fender models.

12. Joe Martin

Joe Martin

Mar 23, 2005
    Frederick, MD
    Dirnt is a signature artist model, so I asumme it is a MIJ, correct?

13. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    No. Mexican.

Note part number prefix. 025=Japan, 013=Mexico.

14. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    One way around this is to simply not clean the bass. :p I own three black basses (a Geddy, a US Std. Jazz, and an old stingray) and they never seem to become clean, so I don't bother. Aside from a minor wipe down after I play.

Back on topic...Dirnt for me.

15. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Aerodyne.

I love mine also but it could use a new J-pickup as it is noisy solo'd

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    On that note, I don't clean black basses period. I find dried sweat to be a natural lubricant ;)

17. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

18. Definitely the Aerodyne.

19. Fatdog

Fatdog

Nov 18, 2004
    Naples, Florida
    +1 more for The Aerodyne.