1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Affect on neck: keeping basses in case vs on a stand

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by improvpwnd, Apr 24, 2010.

1. When not being played, my basses and guitars go back in their case. I used to think it helped keep the neck straight -- not only as a physical 'cast,' but also keeping the instrument away from any fluctuating humidity in the air. I also like the fact that my instruments stay dust free when in a case.

But, I pick up my instrument more when its on a stand, staring back at me constantly. I practice more... I write more when its on a stand.

So, does it keep the neck more straight? Does humidity affect it less when in the case? What do you guys think? Where do you keep your instrument when its not being used and why?

2. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    case, always

3. John D

John D Guest

Dec 27, 2009
    So, does it keep the neck more straight?

No.

Does humidity affect it less when in the case?

Do you have a gas tight case? If not, no.

Answer: Keep it in the case anyway to protect it from accidents.

4. Stand, always (unless in transit).

No idea about the effect on the neck. I'd rather play an instrument twice as much and have to replace it twice as often than let it sit pristine in a case. If I collected instruments or was a pro with a more substantial investment in my gear it would be a different story, but my experience matches yours: if it's on a stand it goes in my hand. It's a very minor barrier, physically speaking, but having a bass put away in its case makes me significantly less likely to pick it up. Now, time to close Firefox and practice instead of talking about practicing ;)

5. blubolt

blubolt

May 18, 2005
    Turlock, CA
    keep it out. I tend to play much more that way. I do have the luxury of a room to keep my stuff set up now (first time EVER) so it makes it much easier to just sit down, plug in and go for it! If you have a safer space to keep your stuff, I say leave it out.

6. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    I keep mine on the stand. I only have a gig bag and that really doesn't do much for protection... aside from that one of the cats pissed on it so I don't want my bass smelling like marked territory.

7. I keep them in a stand or on the wall. I tend to play more often that way.:bassist: I've also had a guitar leaning in the corner for years with no ill effects.

"Out of sight is out of mind."

8. cheapie goes out on a stand....more expensive basses stay in their cases...until gig or recording time

9. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Demons run when a good man goes to war

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
    Same here.

X8

10. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Well, as far as a case acting as a "cast" is concerned - no, your bass still has room to move within a case. As for humidity, I don't see that a case would be capable of isolating your bass enough that it would be immune to changes in the air. Also, once you take your bass out of the case for any extended period the neck will adjust according to the humidity level at that time anyway. And really, how often would your bass be exposed to wild swings in humidity levels if you left it on a stand? I live in Montreal - a place that experiences much greater extremes in humidity-level changes than does San Francisco and I leave my basses out on stands. At most I have to tweak the truss rods a couple of times a year. No big deal. And dust? Just get a Swiffer. :cool:

11. I'd toss the bag. Keep it on the stand.

12. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    The neck will get dusty if you leave it on the stand. :cool:

13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    hung on the wall always... they all get played as often as I can, even if only for 5 minutes at a time. Only exception is my 'cheapie'... it lives in a closet out of the way. My expensive basses are the tools I use, that is the only reason to own them.

When they leave the house, they go in a gig bag.

14. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Heck, after spending five grand on a bass with a nice top you'd best believe I want to look at that bass! Of course, if you have young children or crazy pets (or crazy children and young pets) around, I can see why someone might want to keep their prized basses in a case. But yeah, I love just passing by a room and seeing a bass in its stand looking pretty and asking to be picked up. :)

15. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    And dirty if you play it. :eek:

16. Do we HAVE to answer this question every week?

PC250033.

17. HariKari

HariKari

Feb 21, 2005
    Payson, Utah
    The dust that settles on your bass sitting on a stand of course also settles on your strings. It won't make much difference if you're playing it a lot anyway, but for little-played instruments, it will slowly gunk your strings. Unless you have a fancy neck sock.

[​IMG]

18. I'd get a hard case. Toss the pissy bag...AND the cat.

19. my cats love my basses! they should given their names too (George and Leo).
    Leo and my sandberg
    DSC00263.

but my basses are in a rotation due to room space in my 'toy' room my status is always on a stand (hercules triple) and my paisley P and jag are on case/stand rotation given my mood and my T bitd is on the other slot. sandberg is on a solo stand and the rest are in cases or leaning cearfully against the wall :D

20. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

All the damage I've ever had were from gig bags and stands.

I've never had an issue with any of the 600+ basses I've had stored in a rack in hardshell cases....

I keep a cheapo out for dorking with.. the good stuff is taken care of.