1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Affordable passive 5 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thunderbird90DB, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Thunderbird90DB

Thunderbird90DB

Dec 29, 2008
    Wales
    Im looking for a

Cheap

Good Quality

Lightweight

Passive (NO active electronics, preamps, at all)

5 string

Any Recommendations?

Im thinking about 400 pounds max, which i think is 800 dollars?

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Thats a lot of bass used, my friend!

3. Thunderbird90DB

Thunderbird90DB

Dec 29, 2008
    Wales
    i just have a lot of trouble finding that ideal bass! lol! theres a thing in the uk called guitar live, which is a big trade fair in november, so ill go there and maybe find some basses ill like. but in the meantime, everyone send me your bargain info!!

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    New, I recommend a Yamaha BB415, it is light with high output pickups and great tone. Used, I really recommend a Peavey Foundation five if you don't mind close string spacing and a MTD kingston single H if you love full 19mm spacing. Of course, a used Yamaha BB415 or BB615 would be a great deal used too.:)

Used the Foundation can often be had for $175-$250, and the Kingston can be had for $250-$350. The Yamaha new can be had for $359-$460. Used drop $100 from the new prices.:bassist:

5. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    +1 on the Yamaha BB415.

6. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    used Warwick Corvette Std w/ ash body (the bubinga one is NOT light).

Don't know what they go for on your side of the pond, but they can be had for under $800 over here.

The Yamahas are nice too.

7. Cort all the way for me, the Curbow series in particular. You'll pick up a beauty for very reasonable money, well within budget. Not everyone's cup of tea admittedly, but they're well made and offer great playability.

8. Greevus

Greevus

Apr 15, 2009
    i've been playing a Washburn Taurus T25 for a little over a year and love it! paid $350 on Ebay with upgraded badass V bridge. it's pretty heavy though, but it is a thumper for me.
    it's my first fiver and many hate the pickups, but i don't get it. i am playing it through an ampeg svt classic and ampeg 410hlf cab. i don't know why it's no more popular than it is. of course i'm late to it also.

9. ttmnky

ttmnky

Nov 12, 2007
    OLP MM5, if you can find it?

Some people really like it, others aren't huge fans. But from what I can gather, they're pretty good bang for their buck. I've seen one locally for $200 used. Maybe I should pick it up myself...

10. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR

11. ysand

ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    Athens/Greece
  12. Thunderbird90DB

Thunderbird90DB

Dec 29, 2008
    Wales
    ive been playing my aria for a little while today and decided im very happy with it, but id like it to be passive? any advice on how to make it passive? how much would a shop charge me for a conversion, and also would i lose any of the good tone?

13. SwitchGear

SwitchGear

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    I love my BB415, It is a home run with me. Thumps and thumps and is comfy to play and looks great, IMO.

14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Dean Edge 5.

15. edubb

edubb

Dec 6, 2006
    and upgrade the pickups to Nordstrands. that would be a killer bass for less than $800.

16. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Tribute L2500 is worth a thought. Yes I know it is an active bass, but it is one of the few basses that is just as good if not better as a passive instrument.

17. 65sx. just ordered it myself 2 days ago, and at 169$ you'd have tons of cash left over for other goodies. :D :bassist:

18. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Except the OP is in WALES.

19. :D I really do need to check profiles before I post, sorry about that.