Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

After 8 years, I finally found one!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alembic5, Feb 3, 2005.

1. alembic5

alembic5

Dec 5, 2004
    Seattle, Wa.
    Well, I found it. Anyone ever play a Peavey B-Quad 5? I have owned and played a B-Quad 4 for the last 10 years, and loved every minute of it. Then in '97, I picked up my Alembic Epic 5 string. Ever since, I have been dying for a 5 string version of the B-Quad. For those of you that don't know, this is the Brian Bromberg signature bass made in the early 90's, with a Modulus graphite neck, and piezo bridge pickups and full pannable stereo outputs. I was browsing Ebay a couple of weeks ago, and saw a black fretless 5 on there. I didn't have the cash... and watched the auction close. The reserve wasn't met! So, I e-mailed the seller and asked if we could work something out. The guy has like 23 basses, so he said no problem, he would wait for me to come up with the cash. So... I sold my gaming laptop and voila! Sent him the money last night. Come to find out, there were only about 500 5's made, and only 25 of those were fretless! Excited doesn't even begin to explain how I feel! Anyhow, I just thought I'd share the joy. Any of you have similar stories of waiting years and finally finding that dream bass? Discuss! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

2. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    For me it was an Electra Rickenbacker copy. But it didn't take 8 years to find it, only 2.

3. PICS!

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

5. alembic5

alembic5

Dec 5, 2004
    Seattle, Wa.
    Yeah, I had seen you link to that bass in a different thread. Definitely a one of a kind! I've never seen one with that kind of headstock before. I'll post pics as soon as I get it in my hands!

6. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    :hyper: PIC'S :hyper: :crying: no pic's :confused: :bawl:

7. mashed potatoes

mashed potatoes

Nov 11, 2003
    congratulations :)
    you sound like a very lucky man

8. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I've never even seen a b-quad before... PICS!!!

9. alembic5

alembic5

Dec 5, 2004
    Seattle, Wa.
    Ok ok! Here are some pics, if I can get them to go... :) These are of my brandy wine colored B-quad 4 I purchased new back in... man, when was that? I think it was '94. I'll post pics of the 5er when she arrives!

Attached Files:

10. alembic5

alembic5

Dec 5, 2004
    Seattle, Wa.
    a couple more... one is a closeup of some of the composite neck next to where it joins to the body on the back...

Attached Files:

11. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Very nice! I always liked the "Jazz taken to the extreme" styling of the B-Quads and well as the Modulus neck, versitility of the pannable piezo pickups, and massive bang-for-the-buck factor - I believe the 4-strings listed for 2K, an incredible deal considering the features and build quality.

The chance in body styling, however slight, and the lacking of the graphite neck make the newer Dean model less of a catch, IMO. Glad you were finally able to track one down after all these years! :hyper:

12. alembic5

alembic5

Dec 5, 2004
    Seattle, Wa.
    Thanks! It was a bit of a sacrifice for me at the time... I traded a guy at the music store my 1965 Ford Mustang for that bass, and amp, and of course some cash to even it up. I sure miss that car, but I don't regret making the trade one bit! It is a fantastic instrument. I think mine listed for $2365, if I remember correctly... I can't remember what list was on the 5's.

13. alembic5

alembic5

Dec 5, 2004
    Seattle, Wa.
    It showed up today!! Holy cow, this thing is in absolutely pristine condition. There is only one tiny scratch on it, and you can't even see it! I'm taking her to the studio tonight to do some recording and jamming. I'll try to get some pics soon! :) :hyper: