1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Afterarket Stingray pickups.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by thebisch, Oct 7, 2010.

1. thebisch

thebisch

Sep 24, 2006
    What aftermarket Stingray pickup by itself (no pre/active EQ) sounds closest to a real Ray?

2. topcat2069

topcat2069

Dec 2, 2007
    Palm Springs
    I just got a Nordstrand 5.2 and it's just like my '76 String Ray I also have a Bart but it doesn't.

3. TGLbass

TGLbass

Aug 20, 2010
    I would be interested in finding out this info also. I would want to know first wether or not the passive pickups have good response on all four strings.

4. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    It rather defeats the purpose of having an aftermarket p'up that sounds like the original, don't you think? If it DID sound exactly like the original, why bother buying it?

Let me elaborate so as to not appear snarky: The whole reason companies like Duncan and DiMarzio came to be is that the two main builders of electrics at the time (Fender and Gibson) were cutting corners in making p'ups - - cheaper materials, faster production... So that by the time that I started looking at gear, *NO* self respecting guitarist or bassist would leave stock Fender p'ups in thier axe: The first thing we all did once we got a P or J (or strat ,for that matter) was get some good p'ups to replace the stock crap.

I'm no longer sure convinced that stock Fender p'ups are at all bad - they heard the marketplace, and over time improved their products. EBMM, however, has NEVER been known to cut corners. True, they are a "mass produced" instrument, but as mass produced goes, they do the best job out there. They sound exactly the way they should sound - so unless you are building a faux MM and want to get that MM sound using another company's p'ups, I can't get my head around why you'd bother to buy one. Heck, let's assume you ARE building a faux MM (using a Warmoth body or something) and you want to get a 100% MM sound - - why not buy a EB pickup? That would seem like the best bet...

5. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    To put it in a Stingray copy, perhaps. Or, maybe his definition of original is 'pre-EB'. I replaced the pickup and preamp in my '96 Ray because it sounded harsh and clanky compared to my '80 Ray. I used a Basslines pickup and pre, but later on bought a Bart pickup at the Mars going out of business sale, and that sounded great in the bass. It wasn't exactly like my '80, but it was very nice sounding.

6. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    agreed :hyper:

7. Devo-lution

Devo-lution

Jun 24, 2009
    "buy an EB pick up"

:/
    Second hand or not gonna happen

ShallowBayXI likes this.
  8. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    The trouble with that starts with the fact that EB won't sell you parts, in case you're up to no good. Funny thing is, Fender'll sell you most parts, never hurt their business, Warwick too, even their unique Just-A-Nut(though their pickups/preamps are very expensive), in fact I'd say most companies do, even Rickenbacker, when they have spare stock.

Then there's people who want to change their pickup out but keep the same tone, for that weak G problem.

9. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Also, the Duncan pickups have bevelled magnet edges, while my '96 Musicman pickup magnets have very sharp edges. I used to (and probably still do) play very hard with my left hand to get the sound I liked, and after a 3 set gig, my fingertips were sore from hitting those sharp edges. My '80 Stingray magnets sat lower in the housing, so they didn't bother me. Go figure.

10. MKoby

MKoby

Jul 14, 2004
    MD/Metro DC
    Similar position here.
    Have another brand bass with a dead humbucker/MM type p/u at bridge. It will need to fit a relatively shallow pocket, and have no sharp edges. Other p/u is 2.2 cm plus thickness of output wire.

Do not want to buy and install several in the T & E method.
    Would like to find one that will sound decent, if not great; close to my long gone pre EB or '85 Stingrays would be good.

11. thebisch

thebisch

Sep 24, 2006
    Anymore opinions?

12. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Wilkenson makes a pretty good passive MM replacement style p'up. EMG makes one now as well. Also, Mighty Mite makes a pretty good one as well.
    edit:
    I misread the original post - For the closest sound for an original MM P'up, get a Ernie Ball Music Man Pick up..

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021