1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AGGRESSIVE Sounding Head -- Question about cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MAJORdorMo, Feb 17, 2008.

1. MAJORdorMo

MAJORdorMo

Aug 24, 2007
    I'm in a thrash band and we will be releasing a little cd in a few months. For that recording I will run my bass through an Ampeg SVT4 Pro and 810E cab in my Ampeg modeling software.

However, over the summer, we plan to gig as much as possible. So I need an aggressive sounding head in my price range.

I also need to keep up with a 50w or 100w TUBE guitar head and a drummer. Possibly another guitar amp, but not sure as of now.

I plan to run it through an MXR M-80 Direct Box.

I am not willing to spend over $750.

Here is what I'm considering:
    GK 1001RB-II
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gallien-Krueger-1001RB-II-700-50W-Biamp-Bass-Head-102294733-i1145841.gc

Behringer BX4500H
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringer-BX4500H-Ultrabass-Bass-Head-103311015-i1145507.gc

Warwick Profret 5.1
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Warwick-Pro-Fet-5-1-500W-Bass-Amp-Head-483063-i1321018.gc

I am making a trip to Guitar Center this Monday to try some amps out. I am asking now to get some suggestions as to what to try first and what to buy if they happen to have a bad selection.

CAB QUESTION:
    I have a custom built cab that has 2 horns and a 15-16 inch subwoofer. On the back it has an input jack and an unlabeled switch. I was wondering if I could find out the wattage somehow (it is nowhere on cab).

2. heytrid

heytrid

Feb 12, 2008
    Calgary AB
    look for a used ampeg :)

V4 or something along those lines since the svt-cl/svt-2pro would be out of the range.

anything with tubes on pre and output should be perfect for you unless you want something solid state.

3. MAJORdorMo

MAJORdorMo

Aug 24, 2007
    Whoops! I forgot to add the Ampeg SVT3 Pro to the list.
    Does anyone know how the SVT3 compares to the SVT4?

4. heytrid

heytrid

Feb 12, 2008
    Calgary AB
  5. You don't say!

Anyway, the GK would be my pick.

6. heytrid

heytrid

Feb 12, 2008
    Calgary AB
    I meant more for a "used" search perspective since that is where he is going to get what he truly wants and doesn't have to rely on the typical ampeg/mesa answer and can find something cheaper that will still produce the sound.

what are you using currently with the band?

7. MAJORdorMo

MAJORdorMo

Aug 24, 2007
    Im using a Behringer 45w practice amp, which has trouble competing with the guitarist's 30w.
    I know, quite pathetic.
    We are saving up for better gear and all plan to get them by the summer.

8. heytrid

heytrid

Feb 12, 2008
    Calgary AB
    oh I was going to suggest using what you had until you got the extra to get what you want.

I would agree with the above post about the GK then out of the choices but if the 3pro is in your budget also then it would be a toss up between the 2. the GK does have the most output power but the ampeg has the tube preamp in it.

like all will say go out and see what sounds the best to you but for me it would be between those 2 amps, not sure on the behringer since i hear conflicting stories or reliabilty and possibly forged output ratings.. and never seen the warwick model until now.

as for the rms rating for the cab pull the components out and check the models/manufacturer data that is hopefully marked on them.

When I started out I had a bunch of mismatched stuff, no rich kid, lots of gear from parents here, all pretty much self funded and it sucked pretty bad, had a United tube head i bought for $35 at a yard sale and a GBX cabinet with 1 speaker blown, a profile bass with old guitar pickups in it that were wired direct to the patch cord. When i look back I am glad since i actually appreciate what I have and I do not act like a spoiled brat on forums :)

9. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    You can find a gently used GK2001RB for that money.