Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar 112 Cab

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by TroyK, Jan 9, 2006.

1. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Does anyone use this for jazz/db? If so, what pickup and head are you using and what are your impressions of it?

I've read archives and have received some opinions out of context, but I'm really interested in hearing about people who either use this cab sucessfully and are happy with it or have tried and abandoned.

Thanks,

TRoy

2. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I tried it extensively in a dealer with my string bass and found it way too scooped and colored for string bass. It sounded great for old school rock bass guitar but I didn't buy it because I didn't feel I could use it successfully with upright. YMMV of course.

3. Old school rock bass guitar??? Richard Bona is using a pair of these cabinets...

4. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    I tried my Eden 400T/Aguilar GS112 with my Fishman equipped DB, and I was surprised how well it worked, given that that's my BG rig for rock and roll. I think it complimented the Fishman's response.

5. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Can I ask which Fishman pickup and what pre-amp?

6. Most pickups on an upright base, like the realist I have, need a high impedance input. The Eden has a relatively low impedance input. This could give you the 'old school rock' sound. Try a pre-amp to adjust the impedance. I use a Fishman Pro-Eq Platinum which alows me to use almost any amp.

7. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I tried it briefly and felt it was too dark for my upright. Like others said it sounded really good with a P bass but not with my upright.

8. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    I love the cab with electric, but I also find it a little dark for upright. I often have to roll off some bass with it or it gets a little boomy. But I use it for upright gigs--if you compensate a bit with the eq it sounds great. B ut it's harder to control than my preferred cab, an ampeg portabass 1x10. The 1x10 is a sealed cab, and seems to give me a more focused sound--and with less low fundamental

9. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    It just occured to me that liking this box could depend
    much on what sound you hear in your head. If you look
    for that old school, short note, big thump, bass heavy
    sound, than this box may work well for you. If you are
    after a more note, singing, articulate sound, this may
    not be the box for you. With the AI Focus, you can
    use the high pass or notch filter to help tame the lows.

10. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Old pickup- glued to the bridge, not clipped- and no preamp. Short cord, though.

11. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    So the sound in my head is of course, "my bass only louder".

I gig with a GK MB150e and for the most part like it. I'm certainly happy with the portability of it. At low volumes, where I think the sound coming out of it is blending with the sound coming off of my bass, I think that it's pretty darn good. Out louder volumes where it is clearly amplified sound, it sounds much more like amplified sound. I think that this may be true to some degree with all amps.

(I also use a realist and currently no pre-amp)

My backup/doubling rig is an Eden Wt330 head and the aggie 112. I played a gig with it recently and posted about it that it sounded really bad. Very boomy, not at all clear. There is an active/passive and an acoustic input and of course, I assumed that the acoustic input was the appropriate one. I've gotten pretty good feedback that I should be using a pre-amp and may try that.

I've also got feedback that I should dump the rig and buy an AI, EA, Pub, etc. I've actually chased a few of the EA products on eBay, but they always leave my comfortable price range. There have been some good deals on the Series II AI stuff, but @ 8 ohms, it has approximately the same output as my little GK and I really need to go to 2 to get a ton of power, which is something I want, but don't necessarily need from my backup/ "other" rig.

I've considered buying a new AI head, which has much more power and I think I'd be willing to sell the Eden head and spend the delta on it, but is my cab just a bad choice and will I end up spending a fortune chasing the system I want?

I read people's reviews who are very happy with their Eden 110 combos, which have the same head, so I'm puzzled. I used one of those Eden 110 extension cabs on my GK once and really didn't like it. So, cab bad, head bad, combo good. I'm missing something.

There are 2 EA V110 something cabinets available used locally and I've been conisdering dumping the Aggie and replacing it with the EA cab. This model has a 10 inch speaker,like a 5" speaker and a tweeter. It's about 40 something pounds, so it's not lighter than the Aggie and it's 8 ohms, so if I it doesn't work with the Eden, I'll probably be a little sorry that I chose it.

I know that the only way to know is to try. I can and have and do, drag my bass down to teh shop. But honesly, its' hard for me to tell in teh shop and there's going to be some idiot slapping an thumb bass through a stack next to me. It's hard for me to tell at home. I can really only feel like I have a feel for a setup from gigging with it, usually in a few different situations. I didn't post this question, because I have a pretty good idea what responses I would get, so I was looking for Aggie opinions to draw my own conclusions. I'm not really there yet.

12. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    I tried an Aguilar 112 with my SWR 350 and Barbera p/u. Sounded just fine on the G, D, and A strings, but broke up pretty bad on the E string. I suspect it had the beginnings of a blown woofer -- so I never followed up on trying a new one -- I just assumed it wasn't going to handle the amount of low end on my bass.

From all the posts I've read so far, I still would like to get a nice, compact 12" cabinet -- especially one rated at a higher wattage and one more "flat" sounding for upright. And...one that is a bit easier to tote around!

However...if you haven't tried a decent preamp yet -- you may not be giving your Eden a proper chance...

13. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    It's almost impossible to judge gear in the stores. Especially guitar center--I love the fact that they have loud music playing in addition to the kids whacking away.

And it's almost impossible to judge at home--I tend to play quieter, in a smaller space, without any other instruments--the only real way to tell is on a gig

14. bribass

bribass

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern NJ
    Endorsing Artist; Arnold Schnitzer/ Wil DeSola New Standard RN DB
    -Does anyone use this for jazz/db? If so, what pickup and head are you using and what are your impressions of it?-

Keykendrick,
    I've been using an Aguilar which has an 12" and a horn. I don't remember the model name. It has an attenuator knob on the back which can add or take out highs. Ive had it abiut 3 & 1/2 years now.

I've been using this both for DB and BG and I find it to be great for both. I don't have the muddiness prob. that others are talking about here. Even w/ my dark sounding Prescott. It's very defined w/ my old Walter Woods and Realist pick-up. W/ my new AI Focus 2R even clearer. No muddines. In fact w/ my Music Mann Sterling BG I have to dial in some extra lows. It's great on top of my Flite Sound cab w/ a 15" EV Proline. The combination of the Aguilar clarity and the warmth of the 15"EV is great.