Aguilar TH500 or PUMA 500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by phillybass101, Apr 30, 2012.

1. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    These are my final two choices for a new head. I'd like to hear from the TB commuity on what you think. I know gear is subjective but I'd like to make the best decision.

2. Both great, but VERY different.

Quality.... both excellent (I own a TH500 and gigged a Puma500 for a couple of years).

Size/weight.... Puma500 is stupid small, TH500 is stupid light!

Tone:

Puma500... TOTALLY clean, even, with a crystal clear upper treble and very even response. Very 'through a mixing board' sort of vibe. Closest other head to it is the Markbass F1/F500.

TH500.... bigger low end, a bit bloomy, some 'vintage' distortion always present in the mids, nice ability to increase distortion from mild growl to all out grind with the 'drive' control, more vintage up top. Closest other head to it IMO is the TC RH750, but the low end is much deeper/more open than the TC. Similar warm, wooly, midrange punch.

Both are A1 pieces of gear. PBass playing classic rock... TH500. Jazz/Fusion/Pop with a modern bass or J bass... Puma500 (oversimplification, but you hopefully 'get the drift').

Max volume of both seems similar.

In the US, the TH500, with one of the 10% off Musician's Friend discounts, is quite a bit less expensive than the Puma500 (around $400 less).

3. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Thanks. I am a slapper and I love that hi-fi, piano tone with clean and crisp higs but not harsh.I want my bass to cut like a knife. I have been given an Excellent offer on the PUMA 500. I like that modern tone and not so much the boomy. bloomy, or wooley tone. I like it cold, and clinical and I think the PUMA might be what the Dr ordered. Still would like to hear more feedback

4. IMO, you will love the new Puma500. The new one (single space) is very punchy also. If you are considering the original (two rack space), that is also a killer head that is a bit more fat down low... less punch, more deep bass, same sweet, clean top end.

I wouldn't call the Puma 'cold and clinical' (i.e., like the iAmp stuff IMO), but it is super clean.

I would definitely take the Aguilar off your list for your stated tone goal.

Markbass is coming out with a new class D amp, called the Big Bang that might be interesting to you... kind of a smaller, louder LMIII. Also, you might like the GK MB500 or 800. Super deep, super sizzly.... a bit of grind in the tone, but more up top than down low. Very aggressive top end and deep, wide low end.

5. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    I do like the GK sound. I just locked the deal on the PUMA and will be confirming (paying for it) some time next week. I can't wait. No one in my area that I know is playing through a PUMA. They are still on the MB bandwagon, Eden etc. My dream set up will be the PUMA head, Brubaker KXB-5, and some kind of 6x10 or a full range cab of some sort.

6. ursus

ursus

Jul 16, 2003
    Limhamn, Sweden
    Kjung are right on. I had a Tonehammer but sold it to get a Puma 500. I'm glad I did, much more the sound I like. Right now I play a Lull M5V most of the time. Speakers are two Aggie 1x12SL's.

7. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Good to have a second opinion. I believe that I have made the right choice with the PUMA. I'm playing on a Brubaker Brute MJX-5 which has an aggressive tone, and a Geddly Lee Signature JB. These should sound great through the PUMA 500.

8. melodiaopus

melodiaopus Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Northern California
    Let me know how you like the Puma 500. I have a Epifani UL-502 that I would like to replace with a cleaner mids and treble. The tone of the 502 is a bit darker, sounds like a bit muffled. I'm looking for clean piano lows and sparkle highs. I'm leaning more towards the Puma than the Aguilar TH.

Let us know how you like the Puma.

9. havuk

havuk

Jan 5, 2005
    DFW TEXAS
    anyone know how much the puma 500 goes for??

10. Rimo

Rimo

Sep 28, 2008
    Australia
    I'm also interested in looking for clear mids, piano like lows and rich sparkly highs. The Pumas were one of the amps I was thinking too but, got to try the new Glockenklang Blue Soul and this amp has that tone down perfectly. Definitely another good option for that tone goal!

11. ursus

ursus

Jul 16, 2003
    Limhamn, Sweden
    Maybe, but the Blue Soul is about twice as much:meh:
    I will put a soundclip later from a rehearsal the other day with my Puma 500 and Aggies

12. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    I certainly will. I believe I have made the right investment in my sound.

13. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Contact Donovan Bankead at Fretspot.com. He'll give you great price.

14. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    seems like for the clear modern tone German amps are the way to go. The PUMA was most accessible to me as far as price goes and I got a great deall. I'm not even looking back at the TH 500

15. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    I got my head today. Now to take it home and check things out. One or two more posts from me and I'll be able to close this thread.

16. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Got the amp, played a gig, and posted a review. This thread is done.

17. moretolife

moretolife

Apr 21, 2010
    Philly, where is your review posted?

18. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    There is a review section classified under amps. I'll get the link and send it to you.

19. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011

Attached Files:

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021