1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aguilar vs. Audere

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TehRoflCopter, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Hey guys....

I'm in the process of designing my dream Warmoth bass, and, having searched and read and etc. etc., I'm still looking for some answers.

First of all, I think I should describe the sound I'm looking for. At this point I think I'm going with a Nordstrand MM/J combination in terms of pups. I want a rich, warm, fat, but focused low end with smooth, tight highs--for example, something like the sound of a G&L magnetic field humbucker on an ASAT through an Ampeg head--but also be able to dial in some single coil tones, thus the J and possibly coil split on the MM. :hyper:

Anyway, cutting to the chase, TBers rave about both Audere and Aguilar--I know that Audere is very quiet and everyone seems to love its 4-band EQ--but which would be more conduitive to achieving the tone I'm after? And if Aggie, OBP-1 or -3?

Thank you very much :D

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    How much money have you got to spend? The Aguilar preamps are what they are and if they do what you want then they are priced right. If you are looking for a more advanced preamp then the Audere and John East preamps are the bomb, but they cost a fair deal more.

3. Right now, I have no money to spend at all, but hopefully I can hold off the GAS for as long as it takes me to slowly save however much I need--I want to do everything right (this is my dream bass, after all :D), so basically, money should not be an object in my preamp decision.

4. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I haven't played with either, but the East J (or U) Retro Deluxe seems to be more flexible than the Audere. I guess it all depends on what controls you want.

5. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 19, 2021