Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

aguilar & warwick

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mactac, Feb 9, 2006.

1. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    i was told that the aguilar pots will not work with the warwick stacked knobs.

does anyone know how to solve this problem without using different knobs? i really like the black knobs on the thumb

can you get different pots somewhere that will work?

2. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    bump... nobody? lots of people on this list have put aguilar into warwick... what were your solutions?

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    well, do you mean two band or three band aguilar preamp?

If two band, you could have vol, blend, bass/treble
    If three band, you could have vol/vol, mid,bass/treble

Or try the U-Retro preamp, which has three stacked knobs.

4. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    well, either the 2 or 3, it doesn't matter.

the problem is that their pots don't work with warwick knobs. I'm pretty sure that's what my post says :) hehhe

5. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Well, you weren't very specific, were you?
    There are many different makes of warwick, all with different knobs and different knob configurations.

If it's a thumb bass, then it's only going to work if you had the old 2 band knob eq - which was vol,blend,bass/treble

There are little inserts you can get with wider pots to let narrower shafts fit larger width pots.

6. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    it doesn't matter, i think all warwicks now use the same stacked pots.

in any case, the knobs are too *narrow*, not too wide.

have you actually put aguilar electronics in a warwick?

7. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    of course, I wouldn't post in the thread otherwise. If you search, you'll find many many threads where I discuss my pickup / preamp experiments in a thumb.
    there are no aftermarket preamps I know of that use a stacked vol/blend pot other than the u-retro/j-retro

8. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    I'm getting confused here as to what you are talking about. Based on your comments, I feel that you didn't read my question. Are you getting this confused with some other thread?

my question was not "what uses a stacked blend/vol".
    My questions was "because the aguilar stacked pots do not fit warwick knobs, what should I do?"

What did you do? did you use differnt knobs (which ones) or differnt pots (which ones).

In any case, I'm interested in hearing from people who have put aguilar preamps into warwick basses & how they went about solving this problem.

I'm sure there are many people on TB (including yourself) who have done this... i'd like to hear your solutions.

9. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'm trying to help you based on my own experiences working with pickup/preamp replacement in many basses. In those experiences, the knob configuration and preamp selection IS important.

If, for example, you have a thumb then there is no aftermarket preamp available which can replicate the original knob configuration in question (ignoring shaft width for now). You don't think this is relevant?

And to go back to the preamp type question, that is relevant also. For example, the obp-1 uses a 25K taper pot for eq and the obp-2/3 use 50K taper pots for eq. That affects the range of replacement pots available. For example, the 50K pots used in the obp-2/3 are the only commercially available ones of that taper with center detent that I'm aware of - so that affects whether you CAN use your original warwick knobs with the preamp in question.

10. grumpyjfc

grumpyjfc Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2003
    Mount Pleasant SC
    Yes I have had the same problem, not with aguilar, but with Bartolini. Take your knobs to a machine shop with the specs on the pot shafts (or take the bass with you so they can measure) and let them drill the knobs out for you. It's pretty cheap.

11. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    great idea! thanks for the help! this is the sort of thing i was looking for. I appreciate it

12. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    yes, i'm very aware of this. that's why i asked the question "what are the solutions?".