Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ah...Christmas "Book suggestions"

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Osama_Spears, Dec 13, 2003.

1. Hello guys...

I was just curious if you have any [essential] books that I should check out for christmas(my mom asked me what I wanted,and I didnt really know,so names would help)

Anyways...to explain my "skill" level.

I have been playing bass for a year,I can read sheet music(not perfectly,but decent) and I know some basic theory(key signatures/maj,min scales) and things. I have an instructor also.

I was wondering what do you think would be good for me. I am into all type of music...and would like to learn some blues stuff.

Well,just give me some good books that you have and would reccomend,thanks.

EDIT: added book suggestions to title Joe

2. oh...

P.S,I'm looking for a book that'd really seperate the bass players from the bassists and get me into advanced sh!t :D

3. I have a book called building better basslines. I dont know if you can get this book in america but its great. It goes through Jazz, Blues, Early and Modern Rock, Funk, Reggae, Ska, Bebop all in great detail. It comes with a cd and in each section there is a lot of examples and songs to play as well as lots of explanation about what is happening and common traits of each style and at the end of each chapter is a list of songs and cds you can check out. Its very good...if your interested and need more info on the book let me know

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Any of Gary Willis' books of bass instruction such as "Ultimate Ear Training for Guitar and Bass" and any bass instruction book written by Ed Friedland such as "Walking Bass LInes" and "Expanding Walking Bass Lines."

If you want a superb theory book, but one that will challenge you, try "the Jazz Theory Book" by Mark Levine."

If you want to try your hand at blues, may I suggest the excellent and comprehensive book/CD set, "Mel Bay's Complete Blues Bass Book."

Another idea is to go to Jamey Ebersold's web site and choose from any of the outstanding selections and instructional materials he has there for bass and for jam along improvisation:

http://www.jajazz.com

You can order the catalog. It is chock full of amazing instructional material.

5. I think ima check out the Mark levine one...Wrong Robot suggested it also,I dunno...I need to run to GC

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Funk Fusion Bass by Jon Liebman

7. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
  8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    SITSOM

my lil' lady got for me last christmas, i liked it so much, we got a house together

:D

9. eek...the mods changed the name of the thread!:eek:

OH NO!! :spit: