1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AI Focus 2 R III

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by peterpalmieri, Jul 20, 2007.

1. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Could someone explain exactly what this means? Based on which jack: channel 1 vs 2......OR......xlr vs. 1/4

"Combination Jacks allow the use of a 1/4" or XLR input; input impedances are 1 megohm or 600 ohms based on jack chosen, separately buffered."

Edit: I pulled this info from Bob Gs site

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Looks to me like it's saying that if you plug a 1/4" cable into the combo jack, you get a 1 megohm impedance, and if you plug an XLR in, you get 600 ohm impedance. I use this model almost every day, and it seems to do a great job with both pickup and mic signals. I plug the pickup into channel 1 and the mic into channel 2, but I can't say I'm sure why. Habit, I guess?

3. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    This is correct. Mic input sees the 600 1/4" sees one megohm. Each channel is a mirror of the other so it doesn't matter what is plugged into what. The only difference is that Channel 2 has a separate mute switch so you can mute it and leave Channel 1 open.

Good for doubling. Mute the DB in Chan 2 and use the Volume knob to turn down the slab in Chan 1.

4. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Thanks guys....

5. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    My next quest is an ultra tiny DB (trio rig). I've got a big beefy BG rig. The Glock HR/EANL210 make for a great doubling and all around medium size club rig.

So I now move on to the super small trio or coffee shop rig:

Focus/wizzy....Micro/wizzy...Coda combo....TD100/IP112 or something yet to be determined. These types of rigs seem a little bit harder to audition in person........

6. AI Coda for me. I used a Fender RAD for a while but it doesn't have the deep bottom and I think that is how many of those small combos are with DB. What I like about the Coda is that it is a small rig that becomes really big with the addition of an extension cab. So it can really be both your EBG power house and your DB small gig combo. I use it alone or with an Ampeg 212H cab. Put the extension on and you go to 500 Watts. That would work with the EAN 210 probably. Is that a 4 Ohm cab?

7. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Whatever I put together wouldn't need to be for doubling..but I do like the idea of a AI coda. Nice and small for coffe house type things. FYI my NL210 is a 8 ohm cabinet.....