Aimee Mann on SACD

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Treena Foster, Nov 24, 2003.

1. VJP

VJP Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2001
    I absolutely love Aimee Mann. Is there anything there from a bass playing standpoint that will make anyone go "ooohh" or "aahh". Nope. But she has got to be the most underappreciated talent out there. Just an amazing singer/songwriter/artist IMHO. All four of her solo albums are outstanding. Even some of the old Til Tuesday albums have some great songwriting on them. Check her out.

2. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I always loved the song Coming Up Close. I agree, she is great and underappreciated.
  3. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    She's the one that sang the female vocals on Time Stand Still by Rush, correct? Maybe I should check her out. I like good pop (Seal, Peter Gabriel).
  4. Yes, and that's very much the only thing I'd ever heard from her so far, too!
  5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I've been a long time fan!!
  6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Man, I love that one too. I'm not familiar with her 1st and 4th CDs, but IMO both her 2nd (I'm With Stupid) and 3rd (Bachelor No. 1) are great.
  7. corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    She's one of the most skilled songwriters working today and has done quite well independant of major labels. I'm not sure that she's for everyone, her songwriting is pretty advanced and draws from influences like early Bee Gees, Nilsson, Elvis Costello, Squeeze.

If you want to see what you think of her stuff, rent the movie "Magnolia" and pay attention to the soundtrack. It's a great movie, anyway.