1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AKG 214 issue

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by blackreverend, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Hi Everyone,
    I have an AKG 214, and lately when i use it, I have noticed that the output is significantly lower than a condenser mic should be. When the 20Db cut is not engaged, it is quiet, but nonexistent when it is, even when he gain is cranked. Any ideas on what could be causing this? I don't use it very often, and have never dropped it or anything like that.

Thanks for your thoughts

2. Not enough information to help. Everything o.k. with the phantom power?

3. yes, tried mic on several systems; same problem occurs

4. AGCurry

AGCurry Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    How high should the output of a condenser mic be? Do you need more gain than your preamp can provide?

5. Sounds like it worked as it should and now doesn't work anymore. But it is not possible to make a remote diagnosis.

6. I'm not super technical, but as an example, a mic like that should have a pretty huge field of reception; even with the 20db pad disabled, I have to get within 3-4 inches to be heard, even with the gain up

7. AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    You're right, that mic should be more sensitive. Have to ask about a) your signal chain, b) ensuring that you're singing into the right face of the mic, and c) whether you can get the preamp clip light to light up.

8. I used 2 - Presonus Audiobox into my laptop, and straight into a JBL Eon One Pro, both with Phantom power

I sang into both sides, just in case I was dumb lol same effect

No, I could not

9. AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    If you couldn't light the clip light on the Presonus Audiobox, the only possibilities I can see are a) faulty cable (unlikely), or b) faulty microphone.

10. i agree that it is the mic, but any ideas on what could cause this?