Alembic scam?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by A9X, Aug 7, 2005.

1. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
  2. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    its really fishy when any bass (let alone the rolls royce of basses) starts off at about 1% of its real value.
  3. utopia_imminent

Jun 19, 2004
    the same bass. it is sure a beautiful bass.
  4. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    You know, what's funny about this (or sad, maybe).....

I check eBay for Alembics being auctioned on a regular basis. Not because I'm in the market, but because I'm watching for one of mine to go "on sale". There are so many pictures of my Alembics on the net that I recognize the possibility that they may be used to try to scam somebody.

5. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Hi James,

A while back I bought one of my Alembics on ebay. After the auction ended I went and picked it up locally. About 4 weeks later I got one of my ebay 'saved searces' emails for Alembics and scrolled through it for amusement. Lo and behold, there's a listing for my bass, auction US based (I'm in Australia) this time, and even included a typo in the original, but not the serial number or the photo of it. It was basically a cut and paste of the original auction page with the small mods mentioned. The "seller" was new, and had one feedback (from another one feedbacker) for an antique $US15k katana. Yeah, right.....

This looks like the same scam, but with the locations reversed. New seller, cut and paste from the earlier listing, including the logo they used. Seller is now in Florida instead of NJ.

If you're going to try something like this, why choose such a unique bass, even for an Alembic?
  6. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Just got an email from the earlier seller, auctioncafe! and they confirm that the auction is not legit.
  7. ...and the auction was pulled with a few hours to go and nothing but one retracted bid.

I tried sniffing out the guy by asking some legit questions, a few hours later, no more auction!
  8. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Auctioncafe told me they'd emailled ebay to inform them that the pix were used from their original listing without permission and that it was bogus. The bidder pulled his bids after getting emails from me and a few other Alembic fans
    Ebay are pretty good IME at removing dodgy listings. It just takes them a while. I noticed it missing late last night when it was gone from my watch list.

Good to see that in the end no one got rorted by this.
  9. a little late, but I just received this email from the current scammer;

Ah, the ol' "square trade scam" huh!?

hmmm, lets see, zero feedback, member since 7/8, no longer a member, five other similar user ID's...