1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Alex Webster: Blotted Science

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jhan, Apr 20, 2009.

1. jhan

jhan Guest

I just gave a really close listen to Machinations of Dementia by Blotted Science, Featuring Alex Webster from Cannibal Corpse and Ron Jarzombek from Watchtower and Spastic Ink.

I have to say that Alex Webster has the most amazing combination of pile-driving, aggressive, yet clear tone I have EVER heard. Simply amazing. I've seen lots of threads on this site from players who want an aggressive yet clean tone. Anyone in that camp should give Blotted Science a listen, especially the tune "Amnesia."

Of course it's also about Webster's technique. He's an amazing player, and he plays very aggressively, so that has something to do with it. I guess this is just a "Wow, this is awesome!" thread.

2. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Yeah, he's a nut. If im not mistaken, i think he was still using a Ampeg rig for that cd.

3. Pedulla?

Pedulla? Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2008
    St. Louis, MO
    That cd is just nuts from start to finish no doubt about it.

4. Allmanfan456

Allmanfan456

Jan 23, 2009
    Connecticut
    I need to check this out! Ive only ever heard him play with Cannibal Corpse.

5. metalbass777

metalbass777

Sep 3, 2006
    WOW! What's his equipment? How's he getting this killer tone!

6. EviscerateNick

EviscerateNick

May 9, 2007
    BAY AREA
    Endorsing Artist: THC GOLD
    i am going to take a wild guess and say he is using his spector and a sansamp. i also think he recorded the bass tracks at his house.

7. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Alex currently uses Modulus Quantum 5 and Spector basses, DR Strings, EMG pickups and Ampeg amplifiers.

That's from wikipedia, so take it with some salt.

8. jhan

jhan Guest

Hey EviscerateNick, Good music there.

9. Indeed he did.
    His rig is really simple, just an Ampeg SVT4-pro, Old Ampeg 810 Cab and his Spector Euro5.
    The tone is a contributing factor off these, the EMG pups and his aggressive style.

In SOME studio situations he would use a Sansamp to dirty up his tone to that comparable to his live tone.

I know i have too much time on my hands -.-

10. From Bass Player:

Studio Rig: for Blotted Science, a Line 6 Bass PODxt.

"I used the POD's classic rock setting with a few minor tweaks. That preset is basically the Ampeg SVT sound."

That with his Spector Euro 5.

He uses Ampeg rigs (SVT-4-PRO and 810s) for his live sound and blends them with a clean DI channel and a POD when recording with Cannibal Corpse.

He rules.

11. I've always been a fan of Alex's style and tone, but this album totally blew me away in both aspects! his Spector with an Ampeg rig and his very agressive playing style and precision is what makes it sound so killer, really his performance on this album blows away all his excelent performances on CC

12. metalbass777

metalbass777

Sep 3, 2006
    He doesn't use any effects right? Compression? Distortion?

13. CRONOS

CRONOS

Jun 30, 2008
    God I love his playing. :bassist:

14. on the wretched spawn dvd he explaines his rig in detail. he said that was the first album he used the spector. and at the time he still wasnt sure if he would use that or the mod...he ended up using the spector for the whole album. he said he doesnt use comp or fx, but im sure the studio engineer used some comp in the mixdown stages. thats not to say he hasnt changed his mind in the last few years. -joep

15. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

It's a very good album. Great tunes and yeah, awesome tone.

16. GrindYourMind

GrindYourMind

Oct 30, 2008
    Ain't a better Metal tone out there. Spot on holy god I'll never get so i should just give up tone.

17. ManOnStreet

ManOnStreet

Oct 29, 2006
    Yeah, his tone in BS is simply amazing.

18. jhan

jhan Guest

You guys should check out CC's latest if you haven't. Unbelievable tone and playing on that as well. Absolutely piledriving.

Production is amazing too. Really organic and clean, while at the same time heavy as a bulldozer. It's the way death metal/extreme metal always should have sounded. They used Erik Rutan from Hate Eternal as producer and engineer again. He's by far the best producer in extreme music, at least IMO. His other stuff includes Goatwhore, The Absence, among others. I'm wondering if he produced Blotted Science as well.