1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aliens...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by soulgeezer, Jun 20, 2007.

1. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Inactive

Jan 29, 2007
    Northern New Jersey
    Endorsing Artist: Red Zone Effects
    Cute little grey dudes with an anal fetish, or huge green monsters bent on the destruction of mankind? :confused:

2. labgnat

labgnat Inactive

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    non existent figments of your imagination

3. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    If they did exist, why would you assume there was only one kind?

4. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Great movie.

5. Yup. my fave of the series too.

6. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Meh, I've done worse. :scowl:

7. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Inactive

Jan 29, 2007
    Northern New Jersey
    Why do you assume that I'm assuming that there's only one kind?...

Dammit, Jim, I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer! :p

8. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Inactive

Jan 29, 2007
    Northern New Jersey
    Yeah, you are not a proud man... ;) :D

9. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    Or how about, demons from the pit of Hell attempting to keep the gullible looking to the stars for the answers to our problems rather than looking to God.

Hey, come on, I know it sounds wierd, but I can't be the only dude listening to George Norry here.

Plus, it's in a neat book called "Little Green Men and Lights in the Sky."

10. Chriss62

Chriss62

Jul 24, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    I like the aliens from that movie "Mars Attacks!". They were out for blood, but they were funny, so it's o.k.

11. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    Aliens always blow up much cooler than humans in movies and video games, regardless of species.

12. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Inactive

Jan 29, 2007
    Northern New Jersey
    And, for that matter, why does every alien in every sci-fi series after Star Trek TOS look like a human being with some sort of birth defect?...

Two eyes? Check.
    One nose with two nostrils? Check.
    One mouth? Check.
    Ridged eyebrows/forehead? Check.
    Pointed ears? Check.
    Non-random pattern birthmark on neck and forehead? Check.

Yeah, the makeup after TOS - in every sci-fi show, not just Star Trek - really sucked soccer balls...

13. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Rob, that was explained in that life can usually only be sustained on M-class planets. Hence why most aliens in ST bear an appearance at least somewhat similar to humans in basic physiology, although there are vast other differences in regards to physical strength, internal organs, sensory perception, mental capacities, etc.

14. Chriss62

Chriss62

Jul 24, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Because what the hell do humans care about non-humanoid life. It can't drive a Ferarri (or space Ferarri) so it's not gonna care how nice and shiny your space Lambo is.

non human=non human.

Short answer: EGO.

15. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I beg to differ, there were some great aliens that looked nothing like humans, and still are, as long as you're watching Dr. Who and not Universal's latest attempt to butcher the Star Trek universe on TV. Or Stargate. I mean, the Mos Eisley Cantina scene was after Star Trek. There's plenty of gin-u-wine non-human aliens out there.

Aliens will always look human, though, since green chicks sell more ads than bloated sacks of cybernetically-enhanced protoplasm. Proven fact.

16. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Also, IMO, I believe it's extremely arrogant to say humans are the only life in the universe. Can anyone honestly say that in the vastness of space, that there is NOTHING ELSE there? *NOTHING*?

Not a chance in hell.

17. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Inactive

Jan 29, 2007
    Northern New Jersey
    I remember. I just always thought that explanation was a huge cop-out to give the makeup department a break. After all, it's got to be easier to stencil on some lame birthmarks than to actually think about what alien creatures might look like, if they don't look human...

In TOS, you had any number of gaseous creatures and the occasional silicon-based life form. Much more interesting than everybody looking so similar that you can't tell the aliens from the humans, until they turn around and you see the spot over their left eye.

And, if all life that evolved on M-class planets looks so similar, why didn't they spend more time visiting planets of other classes? Because they couldn't beam down and wander about? Pretty lame excuse, in my opinion.

I've got to say, this is one of the main reasons I can't watch any of the Trek series after TOS, or a lot of the other series on Sci-Fi channel -- I just can't wrap my brain around the idea of aliens who look like us!

18. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Inactive

Jan 29, 2007
    Northern New Jersey
    Ah, Dr. Who! The singular exception to the rule! How did I forget???

19. AdlerAugen

AdlerAugen

Aug 9, 2006
    Huge, parasitic monsters who birth their young through humans, and are hunted by predators with a bad case of bloodthirst.

20. alien5.jpg

Not something I want to run into in a dark alley.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021