Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

All-East Prep

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by mcnaire2004, Jan 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi, I made the all east orchestra (seinor clinic) in tennessee. And this is my first year auditioning and I made it. I got 7th chair (should've been better b/c i beet every1 in warmups and I just played the minor scales the same way down as up i gorgot). But, I was wondering what you guys suggest to do to prepare.

2. Justin K-ski

Justin K-ski

May 13, 2005
    mmm, fill in your profile. Its fun, easy and every1 is doing it.

How do you "beet" or "beat" someone in warm-ups? Are your long tones so clear, powerful and smooth that no one else stands a chance? Do you play your scales slower and listen harder than everyone else? If so, good job, you're probably the best bass player in Tennessee.

Prepare for it the same way you would for anything else, practice the music slow and don't let any imperfection go uncorrected.

3. Thanks. And by beating some1 in warmups i mean i was able to play signifigantly better than the other basses in my warmup room. And i'll fill out my profile.

4. BGreaney

BGreaney Guest

Mar 7, 2005
    A word of advice. 98% of the time, how someone warms up is no way to judge how they are going to play in an audition. For some people, pressure gets to them and will affect their playing more than others. Others just don't seem that impressive warming up but go in the room and tear it up. The best thing you can do for yourself is block out what everyone else is doing and just go in there and do your thing.

5. Thanks everybody but the topic isn't warmups that was a side note. I was asking for advice on what and how to prepare now that i made all-east.

6. That might not be your topic, but it's the one we find more interesting. I find it kind of disconcerting that it's even something you thought about. The best thing to do in an audition or contest is to stay away from competitors until after you've played. If you can be in a different room, that would be ideal. But if it's just one big warm up room, the dumbest and most annoying thing you could do is try to compare cock sizes, so to speak. You're all there for the same reason, and that's to make music. Why does it need to be anything more than that?

7. Justin K-ski

Justin K-ski

May 13, 2005
    Well said Paul. Mcnaire, you'll find the quickest way to piss people here off it to cop an attitude on any subject. In any cares who care about warm-ups? You where "beet" in the audition.

What is this all east? A solo competition, a touring orchestra or a chamber ensemble? Do you have to play Bach, Bottesini and Hindemith or are you doing three concerts of Beethoven 9? Is it a national thing or only the great classical music scene in Tennessee? Let's have some details.

8. Cambass123

Cambass123 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Indiana
    All East is a high school competition where people from all regions of Tennessee compete for a few seats in the sections. The winners all meet at one place for a weekend at the end of the weekend they perform whatever they rehearsed...For some reason it is a big deal to Tennessee High Schoolers....every year i was eligible for All-East I got 5th chair or higher....two of those years I attended All-State, a similar event but for the whole state of Tennessee. Personally i found it a waste of time but I guess it was beneficial...hell it was another chance to experience orchestral ensemble playing.

9. Cambass123

Cambass123 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Indiana
    oh and on another note....I strongly agree with most everyone's comments....it is not how you warm up....everyone reacts differently under pressure. Be glad you made it, don't get it into your mind that you are better than the person sitting in front of you because that is bad news bears. All that matters is you are there to create as beautiful music as you can....and above all else HAVE SOME FUN!!

10. Well for most of the string players it almost garantees a college scolorship. I am not mad at anyone. I just stated that there were 4 other basses in our warmup room and i was hitting my notes quicker clearer and intune. I was just asking in this thread if anyone had some tips thats all. I am happy im in b/c of the way i played my scales and my site reading. And All-state is the first 3 basses from all-east and west.

11. Justin K-ski

Justin K-ski

May 13, 2005
    This thread is going nowhere fast...

That brings back a very disturbing aspen memory. Thank you Mr. Cannon. :crying:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.