1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

All help appreciated

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Bob Bass, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Bob Bass

Bob Bass

Mar 11, 2006
    Hello,

Does anyone have any thoughts about this bass?
    The label states "Johann Radeck Bürger", it is supposed to be Austrian.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37572284@N08

Any comments about the structural quality, guessed value, age, ... are welcome.

Any ideas why there is a horizontal seam on the back?

Thx in advance!

2. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    looks like a new hungarian/romanian to me

(have i seen it recently in german ebay?)

3. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    The horizontal seam is quite typical of a flatback bass. I hope the luthiers weigh in but from what I can see, it looks like that seam has had some issues.

4. Yup, has a fair bit of what looks to be Hungarian flavour to it, but could be Austrian. Messy work is portable. Could be a really good copy of typical Hungarian work by a Chinese shop, with the way the Chinese can make an instrument to just about any standard and appearance these days. More important is condition and music-making potential. That corner repair is a bit weird, kind of looks Bondo-ish or epoxy putty or something else nasty. And the back kerf bend is scary looking, like it's been repaired twice before even making it out the shop door. At a guess, I'd say what probably happened is the guy cutting the groove (kerf) before making the upper back bend cut a bit too deep... or perhaps didn't wet and heat it enough before trying to bend it... or both.

5. Bob Bass

Bob Bass

Mar 11, 2006
    Thanks for your comments.

@bassist14: How do you conclude that it's new? Any indications that the 'old' look is fake?
    @drurb & GerardSamija: Would you care to explain to me why the seam could give potential problems?
    Maybe a stupid question but this double bass thing is kinda new to me and it's so hard to recognize a good bass from a crappy one as a beginner.

My conclusion: If I read all of this, this is not a valuable instrument and the asking price of 3200$ is actually completly nuts.

6. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    If all were sound with this bass, then the asking price of $3200 might be quite fair. It may be fair as it is because it's difficult (for me, anyway) to really tell what work would be required. I defer to Gerard and other luthiers for that type of judgment. He and they would also be far more qualified than I to explain the risks associated with a bad flatback bend.

P.S. Where do you live, Bob?

7. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    i play db for more then 25 years + i have seen and played many of these. so i stated my opinion. but my english is not fluent enough to explain here how to differntiate a fake from a real aged bass. sorry.
    imho: no. if it sounds ok 2-3k is a usual price for basses like this

if you want to buy it: don´t buy it unseen. check it out with an experienced player

8. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    ok, if he has an "ü" ("Johann Radeck Bürger") in his keyboard... :ninja:

9. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    Well, I can write Bürger and I don't have a "ü" on my keyboard. :)

10. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    ...thats why you are DR urb...;)

11. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    Maybe I should change it to drürb! :D

12. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    :cool::cool::cool:

13. Bob Bass

Bob Bass

Mar 11, 2006
    @ Drurb (or Drürb for that mather...;)) I live in Begium.
    @ bassist14: sure, I would ask my bassteacher to go with me but I like to hear as much opinions/comments as possible. I know it's difficult to rate an instrument based just on a few photo's.

14. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    if arnhem in nl is not to far away, you can look at jürgen preyers shop, too:
    http://www.contrabassen.nl/

15. Bob Bass

Bob Bass

Mar 11, 2006
  16. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    he has more basses in the shop than on the homepage, + he is a nice guy, you could call him and tell him what you need

last time i was there he had several hungarian/romanian basses in the 3-5k€ range.
    and they all looked better then the one in your first post.