Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

all this rumbling! where's it coming from?!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by spectorbass83, Feb 16, 2006.

1. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    So my guitarist just got a Marshall half stack..its the one seen here
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Amps?sku=482807

We did some recording yesterday and were getting lots of rumbling when playing back the track through studio monitors. We close miced the cab with an SM-57..the signal then went to a 12 channel Behringer Eurorack mixer and then to an M-Audio Delta 1010 sound card...we are using Sound Forge..what could cause the rumbling?? The bass on the head is only set at 10 o clock, mids are at 11 o clock and the highs are at about 2 o clock..would a compressor clean this up??

2. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    The best thing you can do to help yourself is to post an mp3 of what you're specifically talking about. "Rumbling" can mean a number of things.

A compressor probably won't help, regardless of what it is. Distorted electric guitar is already really compressed.

3. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    You might be clipping the mic. Try recording at lower volumes(yes I AM aware it's a half-stack). Also make sure you are not clipping in the post-mic areas of the signal via boosting volume or bad/wierd equalizing. Like msquared said, sounclips are very helpful for these sort of problems.

4. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    thanks for the help so far..I was gonna add a sound clip tonight but have not received the file yet from my drummer...I will post it as soon as its available.