1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Almost $100 Challenge Upright Bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by CRMayer, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh

Apr 16, 2001
    ICT
    Amazing, wow!

2. wmhill

wmhill

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    right on!

3. randyripoff

randyripoff

Jul 12, 2008
    Chicago
    Very nice.

4. jasmangan

jasmangan

Jul 13, 2008
    I would love to that.nice build.

5. CatSquare

CatSquare

Mar 7, 2014
    Wow! Very impressive.

6. foolforthecity

foolforthecity Supporting Member

You may have missed your true calling. I don't know what else to say!

7. Session1969

Session1969

Dec 2, 2010
    Sorry, slabs only. Those are the rules.

8. CRMayer

CRMayer

Nov 25, 2015
    Richmond, VA
    Thanks for the support y'all!

I attached a quick test track, I put a couple acoustic guitar strums in the beginning for a volume reference (keeping all the settings and mic distance the same). Pardon the intonation, Im a beginner.

I wish it was my workshop, I was taking a studio art class then at arizona state (basically as an excuse to use all their toys). They've got top notch woodworking facilities (and faculty too, check out Tom Eckert's stuff, he makes hyper realistic woodcarvings that you'd swear are actually cloth). Unfortunately now Ive now been downgraded to a shop smith, bandsaw, and handheld tools but those take care of most everything I need.

Its my first bass but Ive made a pretty wide range of other instruments the past couple years. I basically only do acoustics though, the electronics aspect of instruments never really appealed to me. Ive made a 2 flat top guitars, 2 arch tops, 2 banjos, 2 cajons, 1 mando, and this bass. Ive also got a mini gamba body Ubass (Acoustic EUB/UBass Hybrid Build) and a pedal steel in the works. (I have a peculiar variety of the gear acquisition syndrome)

If I can't find an engineering job that appeals to me it might not be too late :p

By slabs do you mean electric basses? I didn't see a 'luthiers corner' on the DB half of the forum, am I in the wrong spot?

Attached Files:

9. Session1969

Session1969

Dec 2, 2010
    I was joking. Amazing job !

10. Thanks for the sound sample!

11. Freaking AMAZING work! I love threads like these, they're inspiring as can be.

12. PDX Rich

PDX Rich

Dec 19, 2014
    Portland, OR
    Really fantastic! I'd love to build a DB sometime.

13. You know, I was skeptical about how good it would sound, but it sounds great. :)

14. CRMayer

CRMayer

Nov 25, 2015
    Richmond, VA
    Thanks! I was actually pleasantly surprised with it too. I was mainly after something to learn on so I didn't set my expectations too high. It would be interesting to try this same type of bent top construction with spruce or something instead of plywood. It could be a cost effective alternative to the solid carved tops given enough experimentation with the bracing and such. The closest analog Ive been able to find are the Howe-Orme guitars but even that curve is pretty subtle in comparison.

KramerDon and vmabus like this.