1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Almost Burned

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by simongpaez, May 3, 2006.

1. simongpaez

simongpaez Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2005
    The Woodlands , Texas
    I was almost burned today and thanks to the help of fellow TB'er everything was clarified.

I receive a PM from user:

Allaihen
    Registered User Join Date: May 2006

Sadowsky Modern 24-fret
    That bass is owned by a fellow TB er so this guy wanted to burn me so BEWARE.

2. Crap. That guy offered me a GBE1200 for $720. No wonder it was such a good price!

I was about to buy it! Phew.

Wait - how do you know that he is scamming? Is that a one of a kind bass or something?

It is kind of suspicious that he is selling all this expensive gear, though. :meh:

Also suspicious that he just joined and has no posts. Kind of like all those eBay scammers.

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Exactly. Avoid that shiite like the plague. That's one reason post counts are helpful. By now you can clearly trust me with your first-born.

bc

4. Maybe when you reach 10,000 posts...

5. He even used used the same "willing to part with..." phrase. :rollno:

6. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    In order to sell an item, you have to be a paying member?

Wouldn't that make it easy/easier to track this guy down? There's always the possibility he used a stolen cc to register and such, but I figured that the reason why scammers get away, is because they're so hard to locate, especially out of the country.

7. simongpaez

simongpaez Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2005
    The Woodlands , Texas

He sent me some pics of the bass and I remember I saw them before, I search here and found the owner and ask him for the bass, he has it and has no plans of selling, Thats how I found out.

8. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Post count definately helps but it isn't a true indicator of whether someone is scamming or not.

Case and point. A guy looking to sell his Trace Elliot Bright Box jumped on Google to see how much they were selling for. Guess what? The Google search pulled up my TB profile saying I had been searching for one. He registered and then PM'd me. He gave me his phone # and we talked several times and a deal was made. I now own a TE Bright Box that is in NOS condition. :D

BTW, he had zero post and still has none. His handle is Bluedrew2. The key here was communication. I had his phone #, home address, and e-mail. I checked the phone # against the address and everything checked out so I went for it and I'm glad I did!

9. Well, it doesn't go both ways.

People with many posts are trustworthy. You can't say the same for people with no posts.

10. i dunno, that brad cook guy has a few posts, but i don't know if i trust him yet...

11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Has anyone reported these incidents to Paul or some of the other mods? I'd also include copies on any pms.

12. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Not trust the Qintar??

Blasphemy!

;)

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Anybody want to buy a cab from me!! ;)

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    can I get good Fieldy and Flea tones from it... you know all growly with punch.

15. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Fixed it for you. :D

16. We should, but I'm too lazy.

Plus I'm still kinda hoping that he's good for that GBE1200 :D

17. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile