Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alphonso Iturra single cut

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sagryf1, Jul 9, 2005.

1. sagryf1

sagryf1

Oct 23, 2004
    I've been looking at a sc Alphonso Iturra bass and am impressed by the workmanship. My question to you TBers is does anyone own one and what are your impressions of it?

Thanks in advance!

2. Alfonso Iturra builds excellent instruments with great playability, light weight, very nicely balanced. I own 2 of them and both have Benavente pickups and Benavente preamps; my fretless:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

my fretted:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brian Barrett (www.thelowend.net) has a couple more Iturras; check the pics on his site. :)

3. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    I can't say that I own one, but the attention to detail seems to be top notch. I have quite a few pictures of them saved to my computer, and I love every one of them. :)

4. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    I've played two different basses by him, they weren't exactly my thing, but they were very nice. If you find them appealing you ought to look for a chance to play one. Call the Low End, maybe Brian can help you out.

5. jow83

jow83

Jun 3, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    gorgeous basses dude, not really my thing but they sure look pretty!!

6. sagryf1

sagryf1

Oct 23, 2004
    JSCHRO7376 - you have some very nice sc Iturras.

Akito - curious about why you said "they weren't exactly my thing" I am assuming that you mean maybe the tone or the looks? Please elaborate.

7. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    Probably too classy for me. They have an "organic" vibe that's really cool and original, but I'm more of a dyed and painted finishes and hi-fi type. The basses are great I didn't mean my comment to sound like I have reservations about them, I just think on such high end and unique instruments it's about your personal reaction to the instrument. Also 90% of the basses I have played that I didn't own were soloed. I think that doesn't give you the whole picture like using them in a band situation will.

8. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    sweet basses jorg!

were my eyes messing with me or did the back of the neck have a rather unusual taper as the positioning got higher than the 12th fret?

9. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Wow, didn't notice that before. In both the back of neck shot of the fretted, and the looking down at the bass horn shot, you can see that the edge has been left pretty square, with most of the material intact, as if it were going to connect to a SC non-horn. I've thought of doing that before, I guess I won't be the first now.

10. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Very cool bridge design on that fretless one.

11. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    There's a fly on your fretboard!
    Please shew it off of the beautiful bass before swinging at it.

danman

12. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Jorg, what's the reasoning behind the extended neck heel on the double cut?

13. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I know it's amazing, well done.

As for the heal on that 6'er.... wonder if that was Jorg's request, if so, why?

14. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    G
    A
    S

15. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I don't know why Iturra did it, but I might do it because: that far up on the neck, the neck is too wide for you to ever possibly want to wrap your thumb around the bass side (even if you are a thumb-wrapper). So, why should we round over the bass side of the back of the neck and remove that wood? Leave it there, to increase the stiffness of the neck! It pretty much looks the same as a neck for a singlecut, before the bass body wing is attached.

16. jaxlaw

jaxlaw

Oct 5, 2002
    Winter Garden
    I am bringing this thread back to life because I am on the verge of scoring one of his 4 string fretless basses and would like to see if there are any updated comments about the basses or the luthier since 2005.

17. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    played a couple at a guitar show a few years ago at The Low End booth, really cool basses, top notch build quality.

18. vstringbassist

vstringbassist

Nov 17, 2003
    Canada
    I love my Iturra DCX-5! The neck is squared off around the 12th fret and I like it because it is different - it does not interfere with my playing up high. There are some pics of my Iturra from a recent show on his facebook page. I got the first DCX-5 made which is pretty cool I think. It has been the perfect 'live' bass for me as the fit and sound works great. Before I got the bass I was not a fan of EMG Hz pickups as I had them in a Shecter Stargazer and did not like the tone. In this bass matched with a 3-band Agliuar pre-amp, they sound great. I want another Iturra bass although I have to watch the expense right now.