Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alrite, yet another Saddle problem...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Minger, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    So I recieved my bridge today and did a bit of a setup...in which just one slight issue I have is that the saddle for my D string won't go up any more and I'm still a little flat at the harmonic...

Any suggestions? My friend suggested raising the saddle, so I may try doing that...

Thanks again for the help peoples...

2. so you cant scoot it far enough forward?

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    It could be a bad string.

4. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Well, Its a new set of DR Hi Beams...40-60-80-100...

Stinkin always goin outta tune makes me want to go back to my old strings, lol.

That and apparently on the saddle for the E string the screw that sets intonation (has the saddle go back and forth) isn't long enough...I get it to a point where Its like perfectly in tune at the harmonic and well, its too long for the screw so should I just do without it?

5. Minger, I know what you mean about the intonation screw being too short. Is your bridge one of the type that has the short intonations screws on the E and A?. If it is, perhaps you can swap that screw with one of the others on the D or G strings and get one that is long enough for proper intonation. I've seen this on lots of bridges and for the life of me, I don't understand why a manufacturer would use screws of different lengths.

6. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Alrite, theres an idea that should work...cept all of the saddles are up close to the front (on my old one the E string was all the way back, but it didnt have the intonation screws...)

I don't get it, but whatever I guess...Maybe go to a hardware store and see if i can get a similar screw if worst comes to worst, but back to the one about the saddle fo teh D string...it won't gar far up enough, even without the intonation screw...

7. hummm i had a similar problem when i switched from a fender bender type bridge on my essex to teh Gotoh 206. turns out i'd drilled it about 1/4" too far towards teh neck :rolleyes: but since it was a direct replacement, i dont know how that would work. honestly your problem stumps me, unless you want to go in with a carbide bitted dremmel and remove part of the bridge mass so it can scoot farther forwards, i dont know what else to say.

8. ummm...you may have not put your bridge in the correct spot. I would always measure from the nut to the 12th fret and then use that same lenght to the MIDDLE of my adjustment for the bridge saddles. That way I would have plenty of room on either side to adjust intonation.

This should be done REGARDLESS of where the original screw holes were.

Can you give us some information, like scale length and distance from 12th fret to bridge saddles on your strings?

9. the gohot 206 bridge was a direct drop in replacement for his bass. impossible for him to have boogerd it up. less he is a bumbling monkey with a screw driver. which i highly doubt :smug:

10. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Alrite, I've got it up as far as it can go, used a bettter tuner (pluggin into my sound card sucks, used my friend's Boss tuner) and stretched out the strings some (lot ) more so it would stay in tune longer...and its pretty much set now.