Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'Alternate' DB tunings

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by bassteban, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Please allow me to publicly display my ignorance: What is solo tuning?
    Also, is it common to tune a DB BEAD(using appropriate strings, of course)?

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Solo tuning is a whole step higher, thus: F# B E A.
    A D G C would be more common then B E A D methinks.
    This is called high solo tuning.

3. Thank you- the reason I ask is that I play(BG)in Church w/lots of keys, several g**t*rs, drums, percussion, etc. I use the B string a lot, & miss it when I pull out the doghouse. I'm wondering if BEAD would work well for this situation.

4. How about a five string or a fingered extension?
    Or fifth tuning. You only get the low C on that, but what the hay.

5. I'd love either of those options, but they are not really options for me. I can't afford a second DB(I wouldn't be able to justify this one save for the fact it was an absolute steal)& although low C would give me plenty of range, the same money excuse goes for an extension. Also, though my bass looks as if it was once dragged behind a truck, I'm keen to preserve it as much as possible. By all accounts it's 60+yrs old- no huge deal, but in the event of a fire, I'd likely grab it just after throwing my 3 children out the nearest window. :eek:

Edit: I have considered fifth tuning, & may try it sometime. I'd like to test it out on BG first. Thanks for the replies.