1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Alternative for Flea Model Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fsf347, Oct 10, 2010.

1. fsf347

fsf347

Mar 28, 2008
    Alright, since has proved impossible to find a music store that actually sells one of these basses, Iv decided to find a different bass.

The reason I liked the bass so much is from what Iv heard:

Especially with a pickup upgrade, it has a really punchy, perfect for slapping raunchy sound to it (ALMOST like a stingray to me).

With a budget of about $800, can you guys recommend me any alternatives?

2. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Sterling by Musicman, Ray34? It is definitely like a Stingray and is under your budget.

3. fsf347

fsf347

Mar 28, 2008
    You know, I played the EXACT bass at SamAsh yesterday; and was not impressed with the tone at all, and neither was the guy after me who picked it up. Possibly a dud?

Does the tone on those things normally sound somewhat similar to the mm rays?

4. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    They normally sound very similiar. Wonder if the battery was dying? Batterys make a big difference and if they've had it a while it could definitely be the problem.

5. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    the sale the flea bass at Musiciansfriend.

6. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    For $800, why not just get a second hand Stingray, a real one? Or a L2000? Or any decent bass?

7. jacopastorius

jacopastorius

Jul 30, 2009
    go for the sterling...ed friedland have a review on that on youtube. search it up...very nice ...sounds like the real deal

8. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    This.

Or get an ATK. Awesome bass and you get to keep the change. :)

9. ATK, Sterling Ray 34, used StingRay, used SUB, used OLP...