1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Alternative to a Barefaced 2X12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pbassred, Jul 30, 2012.

1. As I get closer in defining my next rig, I want to pair a Markbass littlemark tube amp with a 2X12 . The Barefaced super twelveT can handle the power and the in-line layout makes sense both physically and height wise (I might get to hear it").

Its expensive but the real killer is the wait:- 6 - 8 weeks. Not that I'm it a big hurry but with that amount of time I might find something better for less.

Any suggestions?

2. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    If you live in the UK, buying anything other than Barefaced is uncivilized. ;)

3. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    Barefaced is worth the wait IMO.

TC's RS212 is a great cab, but not as tall as the BF. A pair of RS210s would be even better. Personally, I dig the mixed 210/212 stack.

But wait for the BF. :)

4. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    I'm in the US and I've considered buying Barefaced. I can't wait to try a '69er when it comes out. I don't mind waiting when I'm buying from a small company with a good reputation for their quality, their science, and their performance. ;)

5. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I'm in America, and willing to wait. Haven't played a Barefaced, but I believe all the talk I hear from everyone. Just think about those drivers and how awesome they are. Then, the weight. Why, you could even drive over and pick it up. Wish I could.

6. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

I did :)

It will be worth the wait

7. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Supporting small, innovative companies is good, at least to me.
    If you agree, then factor that in.
    With Barefaced you will be getting an incredible cab at a fair price, and fostering the kind of innovation that gets you that sort of thing rather than another square 410 built around using simple-to-cut lumber to save costs.

Sure you can wait and find something cheaper. You may even find something better. Same is true whenever you wait - if you don't buy a computer or phone this year, next year you can buy a better model, or buy this year's model (which really WAS pretty cool) for cheaper.
    But then you miss out on the usage and enjoyment.

My .02 - go for it.

8. Budbear

Budbear Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Staten Island, NYC
    +2x12

9. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    If you really put your mind to it you could build a fEARful 1212/6 in 8 weeks. In my mind that would be the only thing equal to the Barefaced.

10. Have you tried one?

11. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    ^ Sounds like you have? Thoughts?

12. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I built a cabinet that was pretty much an exact clone of the Midget, and I've played fEarfuls (which are fairly similar to the Big One/Big Baby line). I'm confident enough in my experience with the woofers and the reviews of others I trust to recommend them highly until I hear some reason not to do so.

13. makohund

makohund

Dec 12, 2002
    I thought of that (of course). And then rethought it... that Barefaced model is more of a full range woofer than a crossed-over multiway. So more like a Dually, but with 12s instead of 15s. There isn't one of those (at least not yet), so... there you have it.

But an equal of sorts, or alternative... yeah it would be.

But being in the UK, I'd probably consider waiting for the Barefaced. Depending on whether I really wanted a full range system or a multiway, and willing/able to build vs buy.

14. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    ^ Yup, if costs were the same I'd likely wait for the Barefaced too. I'm currently building a 12/6 and it does take effort and time. No free lunch.

15. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    For the record, I have owned a Compact and it is quite a cool little cab. Of course to achieve the portability of it and low weight, there are compromises. The Compact is not going to sound like a fEARful 15/6 but that is not what it is designed to do. The wood is very thin... 3/8ths I think. I also recall hearing complaints a year or so ago about the duratex style finish. People were saying it has a DIY / homemade feel to it and not as professional as other builders such as Berg, Epifani etc. Having owned it I can see how they would say that, but personally I thought it was well built and the finish coating seemed quite tough and sturdy.

16. Not doubting your experience with building cabs or similar cabinets/speakers, but I personally wouldn't recommend anything unless I had used the exact one. There are variables. Not doubting Alex's expertise either, but there are some that don't like the sound of, for example, a 15/6. That's just purely preference isn't it? I would like to try a fearful as I've heard a lot about them, the only thing holding me back is availability over here and taking the plunge on something that might sound wayyyy to deep for my tone goals.

17. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    The only other cab that I can think of, and have used myself, that resembles what you want, is the GB Neox 212T. I also went the custom cab route with Don at LDS, and this is what we came up with. 3012HO drivers, with an 18Sound , XD125 Horn/Tweet. Of course, you have to wait as Don does 'em one at a time.

Attached Files:

18. Shh dont tel anyone... but I think one is coming down the pipeline...:smug:

19. barryaudio

barryaudio

Feb 9, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Authorized Builder: fEARful bass, greenboy designs, Bill Fitzmaurice
    The 1x12 version is out there (see Bassic 12)

20. makohund

makohund

Dec 12, 2002
    That's true. A pair of Bassics would be a pretty sweet alternative.