1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Alternative tuning Q?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ODDBALL, Oct 3, 2008.

1. ODDBALL

ODDBALL Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    What are the benefits of tuning G-C-G-C-F ? Are the strings Floppy? Anybody with experience with down tuning please chime in.

Thanks
    Shaun

2. Skygoneblue

Skygoneblue

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    I'm assuming that is just to tune a 5-string bass to play along with a guitar in dropped-C tuning.

In my experience, with normal gauge strings, tuning to C is about the point at which the floppiness can get to be cumbersome. You're pretty much forced into playing close to the bridge to get any kind of tone from your strings, or upgrade to a thicker gauge (105+). I've also not had the best luck with low B strings tuned anywhere past A. It's really difficult to EQ your amp and bass to even get an audible tone from that string when it's tuned so low.

My advice would be, if you want to play in dropped-C tuning, just use a 4 and go CGCF. A 35" scale bass would be ideal as well, but not vital.

3. thetawaves

thetawaves

Dec 29, 2006
    +1

On my 4 stringer, I ended up having to get a 120 guage set (ernie ball heavy 5 string set, throw away the high G string) and a new nut (to fit the new guage) to get any usable tone. Though i would imagine you could get away with lighter strings on a 35" scale neck.

And as skygoneblue said, you've got to stay as close to the bridge as possible unless you want to sound like a type writer :p or Fieldy...:bag: