1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Alternatives to Ebony

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by BRIDGE, Apr 1, 2015.

1. I am seeking alternatives to ebony, for fingerboards, tailpieces, etc. Although I like the look and the feel of ebony, as an animal lover, I cannot support the use of ebony after seeing the following, which was posted on Facebook:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
    gerry grable likes this.
  2. gerry grable

gerry grable Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2010
    Ha ha ha. And April is the cruelest month!

Lee Moses likes this.
  3. keiranohara

keiranohara Commercial User

Nov 7, 2007
    Ossining, NY
    Luthier at AES Fine Instruments
  4. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    The Marvin wire tailpiece is an excellent improvement on most bass; and I know some people use the Wittner ultra-light made from some "space age" material. Moses guitars were making carbon fiber bass fingerboards (and bridges, I believe) at one time, but I'm not sure if they still do

5. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    my ebony board was black paint on rosewood, which i found out after the neck replaning :)

6. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    I love the Marvin tailpiece on my Rumano Solano bass!

7. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    My guess is that ebony tailpieces have been the exception to lighter wood species for years. You don't have to go from ebony straight to wire or "space age plastic". My track record with the Marvin is 50%, good on one bass, not so on another.