Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aluminum nut

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by rdhbass, Mar 15, 2005.

1. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    Any body ever used or experimented with a bass nut made of aluminum. I have a whole lot of it at the right thickness and I also have the tools to make one. I guess it would work like a brass nut and be similiar in tone, what do ya'll think.

2. I make them all the time for my customs and almost prefer them to brass. I don't notice a tonal difference and they are much easier to shape and polish. I would stay away from the lower numbered alloy aluminums like the 3000 and 4000 series. They are a little soft. I use mainly 5000 and 6000 - 5052 and 6061 both with T6 hardness's. The harder the aluminum the longer wearing it is though that isn't too much of a problem.

To support your use of aluminum to naysayers, as an anchor for a string, use the argument that Trevor Wilkinson prefers aluminum for his high end bass bridges because of the tonal response. Although I was doing before I knew he was, it was nice to know I wasn't an idiot for trying. :D

3. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    Well i've got some low grade stuff probably but it couldn't be worse than the plastic that is already on there, i may use it anyway. I don't have access to aircraft grade aluminum at the moment, just the home depot lengths 1/8" in thickness, later.