1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

always read the fine print when ordering gear (or anything, really)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by pcake, Oct 15, 2017.

1. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i was about to pull the trigger on a red mustang bass at sweetwater. on the page for the bass it says in enthusiastic print

Or just $24/month§ for 24 months
    0% interest for 24 months*. 24 equal monthly payments required.

you'd probably assume based on that that you could pay the bass off in 24 months at $24 per month with no interest. but underneath, it says in the finer print

$799.00 minimum purchase of Fender products on one invoice. Valid through 12/31/2017.

the red print is mine. the shorter period is a fender thing, as i've run into it before, but i wasn't thrilled that the thing about 24/24 was on the page with something it didn't apply to. in reality, the mustang bass cannot be paid for in 24 months because there's a $799 fender product minimum and the mustang costs less than $799. the mustang bass must be paid for over a 6 month period or you will pay pretty high interest for the entire purchase.

i'm not saying don't finance and i'm not saying this happens only on sweetwater - i am saying be sure to read everything before you pull the trigger.

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Chillin' n Grillin' on the Best Coast
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
    Reading = deciphering

Just reading is sometimes not enough when advertising is misleading, even in subtle ways.

pcake likes this.
  3. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    true. i'll be honest - i didn't catch it on the product page. i was almost finished with the buying process but i read the fine print and voila, there it was; 6 months to pay it off, not 24.

4. brianmharrison

brianmharrison

Oct 11, 2007
    Atlanta
    Don’t finance it unless absolutely needed. Save up for it and buy it.

Jeff Scott and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  5. Where does the * lead to? Seems like entrapment.

Wouldn't be legal here.

6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    The * is what leads to the fine print and details. Yeah, I there is fine print, read it.

7. Reminds me of the Saturday Night Live credit card I signed up for. You were supposed to receive a SNL wallet, but you had to buy X amount of stuff first.
    It was also supposed to give you points which could be redeemed for tickets to see SNL performed live in the studio.
    I think the normal situation is that you ask for tickets at a certain time of the year & they give you a date to appear. This is probably why so many standby seats are available on Saturday nights, because people can't make their randomly assigned date.
    I can't recall how they smoke-screened me, but you had to buy a heap of stuff to get enough points to buy a ticket to the show.
    but of course it was all there in the fine print, if I'd only just read it

No biggie, I've already seen Kevin Hart host the show live, and I froze nearly to death out there in the cold windy street waiting for standby tickets.

A lot of people must have felt burned about the situation, because the card was cancelled about 9 months later. Not just my card, the whole plan was cancelled.