Am i a freak?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Nilmar, Jun 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nilmar

Mar 16, 2004
    Hey, i am Bassist wannabe.... But i got no money to buy one so i actually played bass tabs on my guitar. I am a blink 182 fan and only like songs with nice basslines.... my friends think that i am a freak who only listen to basslines in songs. They also comment that bass are easy to play? Am i freaky? Playing Blink 182 basslines means i suck?
  2. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    No you are not. fact you are, cause all bassplayers are freaks. So join the club. ;)

It appears you've got the wrong instrument... may be you could try to sell it and buy a cheap-ass bass? Anyway.. playing bass isn't easy. It's a 100% instrument which isn't easier or more difficult to play any other. Just practise...and be aware of your own technique and sound.

'Even a lifetime is too short..' (didn't Wayne Shorter say that?)
  3. Nilmar

Mar 16, 2004
    I am sick of playing bass on the acoustic guitar. It sound so plain, snappy. Jeez... wish i money to buy a bass. I heard some punk bassist played chords on bass.... how to do it???
  4. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Don't play chords on bass, they sound like crap. Harmonic chords are different, but don't ask because I'm not going to explain. Sell the guitar and buy a bass. Or does the guitar belong to your dad or brother or something?

Also, how old are you?
  5. Nilmar

Mar 16, 2004
    That acoustic guitar belongs to me. I am 16.
  6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    you have to be at lteast 17 to play bass.
  7. Nilmar

Mar 16, 2004
  8. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I'm 16... but I see your point.
  9. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Sell the guitar. Get a job. Play bass.
  10. Metallideth

Feb 19, 2004
  11. Someone made a comment on here about guitar being hard at first then once you get chords down its easy, but bass starts easy and gets hard once you get into the theory, slapping, percussive bass etc.

And....well mostly Blink 182 basslines are pretty easy, although some are half decent (Carousel) but mainly just root notes and no fills in his lines.
  12. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Come on, I hope you know better than this. I have been playing for 13 years guitar now and 4 years of playing bass.

It's just the fact that when you're more into in instrument and getting to know the ins and outs, it's just getting more difficult to take the imperfections out of your playing. And the fact that your own ears are getting more trained to listen to your own sound, you get a better technique (hopefully) etc... just a circle. It doesn't depend on the instrument. The guy who tells that instruments are easy to do, still has to be born I think.

And who said chords don't sound good on a bass?? Never heard of Jaco...or what ..? He throws/ threw (in fact) with chords, like they are snowballs in a cold white winter. And they sound sweet!
  13. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Punk basslines such as most Blink 182 songs ARE easy. However, some bassists have grooves so intense itll make your eyes water. You jusy probably wont find them in the punk genre. Check out Rancid if you want decent basslines in a punk atmosphere.
  14. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002

15. +1
  16. Nilmar,

Check this out:

Us bass guys get no respect from anyone who hasn't tried to play bass guitar. Those g****r guys think they're hot, but how many of them are making a living playing nothing but power chords or drop d tuning - talk about easy! Bass can be easy to play, but it requires a different mindset which can be more challenging than guitar. Anybody can plunk out a melody on a g*****r, but to effectively bridge the gap between the drums and the melody can be tough.

As far as punk basslines - there's a difference between simple and easy. I have heard a number of punk basslines that are simple (only a few different notes) but would be tough to play unless you had a lot of hand strength (as in, they were very fast and played fingerstyle).

Check out this website for great deals on good beginner basses.

Consider buying one of the SX SPJ-62 models. Hoppus essentially plays a Precision Bass even though it is in a Jazz Bass body. P-Basses are simple but powerful, and the SX SPJ-62 has both a P-Bass pickup and a Jazz Bass pickup for added tonal flexibility. I am going to get one myself and might make it fretless. This would be a great beginner bass for not a lot of dough.

17. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    rofl. do tell. :)
  18. Hell, I'm a 50+ blues player and I use chords sometimes!
  19. I didn't make the comment, I was mearly quoting someone else on here. Figjam infact:

"Bass is easier to get started than guitar. I think that is a safe statement. You will learn though that for guitarists , after playing for just a few months, chords become second nature and they too prove to be not diffucult at all, its just that they frighten a lot of newbie guitarists.
    Bass gets more complicated. Once you get into tapping, slapping, and percussive bass in general, i dont think there is an equivalent on guitar."

Sorry if I caused confusion. I think I just worded my post badly. :meh: :rollno:
  20. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    *Chords on a bass sound fine, but its ok... your only 16...
    *Basslines in Punk are More or less EASY, Listen to different music to hear "Harder" bass lines...
    *For me at least: Bass IS easy to start out on, but get's progressively harder each day!
    *Guitarists have big heads

****************Bassist's to check out**************
    Jaco Pastorius (Who DOSENT need to know about him?)
    Victor Wooten
    Oteil Burbridge
    John Patitucci (Double and Electric)
    Stanley Clarke
    John Myung
    Geddy Lee
    Mark Hoppus
    Marcus Miller
    Gerald Veasley

And Many Many, Many more...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.