Am I crazy?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ash Jazz, Jul 25, 2021.

1. For the longest time I have used a Markbass Jeff Berlin CMD 151p. Its a great amp, really light too.

I bought a pf500 at GC off a blow out table as a back up.

Then I ran across an inexpensive pf210he.

It was fun to play around with but the Markbass has remained my #1... until recently. I started using the Ampeg rig at practice and I'm finding I like it better than the Markbass. Not cutting the Markbass at all, it's a fine amp. It's just that the Ampeg is imperfect in all the right ways. It's warm and a little grungy and just pulls off that 60s/70s Era vibe so well.

2. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone

Apr 2, 2019
    We don't say "crazy" anymore, and everyone gets a trophy, so please don't worry and be happy!

Helix, ColdEye, Erasmusman and 9 others like this.
  3. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    It's the Ampeg sound so if that's what you like, it works.

HolmeBass, Ash Jazz and MattZilla like this.
  4. I'm thinking about selling the Mark bass and buying a pf800 and a second pf210he.

TinyE and DJ Bebop like this.
  5. That must be the royal "we" because I definitely say crazy. And groupies are the only trophies I care about about.

6. Gluvhand

Gluvhand Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Rockland County, NY
    I save "crazy" for things like putting your lips on a live conductor on a 400 amp electrical service. Digging the Ampeg sound is pretty pedestrian.

Helix, Gothic, DJ Bebop and 1 other person like this.
  7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I've said this for years. Allow yourself to like what you like. Forget conventional wisdom. Forget what is "supposed" to work for you. Just like what you like and be done with it.

8. Wow, when was the last time you did that? You have me beat there... But this thread is starting to go pretty far off topic. My mistake for responding to that post.

9. Gluvhand

Feb 19, 2014
    Rockland County, NY
    LOL. Never said I did it. I do test 110v with my thumb and index finger sometimes.

Ash Jazz likes this.
  10. CryingBass

CryingBass Ours' is the only Reality of Consequence Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Says a guy named “glove hand”? :)

Astronaut, Ash Jazz and Gluvhand like this.
  11. Gluvhand

Feb 19, 2014
    Rockland County, NY
    LOL. That's from when I enjoyed getting hockey pucks fired at me.

12. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    I wasn't crazy about the PF that I used to own (I think the cab was part of it as well). My my svt cl and my micro vr that I own now are just right!
    Enjoy

DJ Bebop and Ash Jazz like this.
  13. blastoff

blastoff

Sep 5, 2007
    way out west
    seems pretty sane to me. I, personally, have never been impressed by Mark bass, and really the only reason i would see to own one is if my name was Mark. which it is not. Neither is it Ampeg, but i just think they sound better. that how i justify it anyways

DJ Bebop and Ash Jazz like this.
  14. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Is it possible the Ampeg kit is nice AND you are crazy? Why can’t both be true?

rodl2005 and Ash Jazz like this.
  15. Probably some truth there!

Killing Floor likes this.
  16. It's one of those things where a signature product works well for the endorser but may or may not work for you. Ever see Jeff use his rig, and the situations that his in? Do you play the same kind of music in the same format? That's the difference.
    He likes that amp for what he does :)

Ash Jazz likes this.
  17. Smokey P

Smokey P Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2021
    I bought a pf500 to pair with a 410hlf but I liked the sound so much I traded in my 10 year old mark bass combo 121 thing for a hartke hd112 cab. So now I just use my pf500 for everything and use the appropriate cab. My markbass was really just getting worn out after some 1000 gigs or so but also, I loved the markbass 121 for upright, not so much with electric, sounded bland, I like the way the ampeg colors my tone more.

Ash Jazz likes this.
  18. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    I’m in the camp that Ampeg > MarkBass.

Ash Jazz likes this.
  19. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone

Apr 2, 2019
    I was trying to be funny. I'm sorry. No, it isn't unusual to like the less expensive or the less modern or whatever, not crazy at all.

But this...
    ...is a classic expression of love, man. Be careful or a country song might happen to you, you know?

I had a currently trendy and expensive, slightly boutique-ish cab. Not its fault, but it was too bright for me, and the amp head - same brand and designed to go together - didn't have enough authority in its EQing to kill those highs (and I didn't have an outboard EQ unit yet). Also not its fault; clearly, these were designed for those with tastes different from mine. Nothing wrong with that. I paid for clean and that's what it was.

Well, I started modifying that cab.
    Now I have a Rumble 115 V3 that I like much better.
    And in my closet I have the one that could have been, dismembered. So see? My story is crazier than yours.

I'm not a cab designer, ok? :)

Ash Jazz likes this.
  20. You are not crazy for liking the Ampeg better. Your reasons sound legit to me, and are a matter of personal preference.

But as a member of TalkBass asking if you are crazy is a rhetorical question. I mean, c’mon.

Ash Jazz, MYLOWFREQ and JettBlaq like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 18, 2021