1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Am I cursed?(rant)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MRDOOM, May 10, 2010.

1. MRDOOM

MRDOOM

Jul 16, 2009
    Utah
    Am I the only person here who NEVER gets to see concerts? I have yet to have attended a SINGLE one. I say this because it seems that every time I hear about a concert involving a band that I like, something keeps me from going to it. Its always either on a night I can't go, I dont have the money, or its sold out by the time I find out about it. Now to be clear, Ive been in places with live music before, what I'm talking about is concerts with bands that I have actually heard of. I would go see local bands if I could, but there isnt much of a music scene where I live(so cal suburbs), and quite frankly,it isnt worth it to drive to L.A to roam around the clubs to see random bands that Ive never heard of do bad <insert band name> covers.

sorry for the rant, I just had to ask if anyone else on here is as unlucky as me.

2. Tumeni Notes

Tumeni Notes

Jan 2, 2009
    Sounds like a curse to me....

3. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    There must be a local 'zine that has ad's in it for clubs and shows. We have two down here in San Diego (the Reader and Citybeat) that are free and published weekly and available at many supermarkets, liquor stores, etc. They have reviews of local and national acts that come through, concert schedules, and ad's for most of the local night clubs and for bigger venues that have touring acts.

Another resource is the local radio stations, they've usually got a calendar filled with recommendations of shows that their listener base will be interested in. I know I'm on their email list and get bombarded with updates.

Further, if you actually order tickets through any of the "convenience" services such as Ticketmaster, you'll probably get on their email list, and they'll spam you to death with shows based on your purchase history, or at least that's been my experience.

4. EdHunter

EdHunter

Jan 14, 2010
    Dublin
    I think I may have the same problem. This year I've only seen Airbourne, Green Day (don't judge, I like their early stuff), Les Claypool and Wolfmother, with only KISS, Motörhead and Slayer lined up!
    I mean, what the Hell?

5. my suggestion is along with unrepresented--pay attention to the scene--there are probably a bunch of really cool bands coming through the area (or at least one worth driving to see) but you don't know about them until it's too late. check out your favorite band's website for tour information--there are newsletters you can sign up for, or if you have facebook, they have the "iLike" application where you list your favorites and if there is any news, they will alert you. Then you will know that they are on tour or whatever and you will have some time to save up for the show, and I think a month is plenty of time to save up 25 dollars for a show if that's your priority