1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Am i hurting my amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by darknes40, Jan 7, 2012.

1. darknes40

darknes40

Oct 11, 2011
    Hey guys I'm running a shuttle 6.0 in a rack with a wireless and a rack tuner. In behind my rack attached to it us a good quality power bar from home depot, the way I've had it set up is I leave everything turned on and just turn everything off by switching off the power-bar Instead of having to try to find the individual switches in the back of each part.

It occurred to me that maybe this might be hurting something, so the question to all you knowledgable people is should I not do this anymore?

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    No, a power switch on an amp does the same thing as the switch on the power strip. That said, it's good practice, and a pet peeve of mine when people don't do it, and that's to have volumes turned all the way down before powering anything on or off. It at least keeps clicks and pops from hitting speakers, especially when switching on something going into an amp that's already on and turned up.

3. I'm not an electrical engineer or anything, but I don't see how it would hurt it. That's pretty much the same thing as running a Furman power conditioner or something similar, and they're designed with this purpose in mind.

4. Yes you are hurting the switches feelings :p :bag:

5. Believe it or not, I was told specifically by someone at Genz-Benz (... or perhaps I read a posting by someone at G-B?) that this is not recommended. It won't void your warranty or anything, but they discourage switching the amp on and off using an external switch.

Unhelpfully,

-jb

6. I think that was about avoiding the speaker pop at power down IIRC?

7. Unless something there has a hard drive I wouldnt worry about it. The reason you dont want to do this with your computer is it could corrupt your drive.

8. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    It's what I do. :)

9. boing

boing

Feb 15, 2004
    WNC, USA
    Emphasis added.

From here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/anyone-using-power-amp-shuttle-shuttle-pre-649598/

10. Ah clarification! The power strip/"conditioner's" master power switch could be damaged. :)

11. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Yes, this is correct. No problem with the Shuttles or Streamliner though.