1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

am i making progress for 1 year?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by varozerolf, Jan 20, 2013.

1. varozerolf

varozerolf

Jan 20, 2013
    i dont want to sound conceded or like im trying to show off but i want some opinions on my playing for 1 year a few songs i can play are cannibal corpse-hammer smashed face,job for a cowboy-entombment of a machine,iron maiden-blood brothers,lamb of god-now youve got something to die for and some other death metal songs but not as perfectly give me opinions :bassist::

2. Fenwick

Fenwick

Dec 9, 2012
    Montreal
    If you are looking for encouragement...'go get 'em champ!!!'.

But seriously, it's good to tackle challenging music, it helps your chops. But moreso, can you really play them perfectly?

It takes some people (me!) years to get relatively clean 16ths at higher speeds, so if you've mastered that in a year; kudos.

3. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Inactive

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Playing notes is one thing - how is your phrasing and feel?

If you really want to know if you are doing well, post a sound clip.

4. varozerolf

varozerolf

Jan 20, 2013
    here is a cover i made 4 months ago

5. varozerolf

varozerolf

Jan 20, 2013
    well since i started playing i never really bothered learning the easy stuff i aimed for the hardest i could play cleanly but i think there are many bassist that playing a year are beyond my level.i just want to make sure im on the right track.

6. Fenwick

Fenwick

Dec 9, 2012
    Montreal
    I'll just be brutally honest and say your HSF cover was pretty sloppy. Some of your interpretations of the song are just plain wrong. Your technique has got a long way to go, both right and left hands. You cannot play HSF.

On the bright side, this is pretty standard for a year of playing. Keep at it. My advice would be SLOW DOWN. Use a metronome. Focus on getting even and consistent tone for every strike.

I know we all want to get out there and noodle a way, but I'm a stickler for sloppy metal bassists and fakers (look like theyre doing a lot of work, but its a buncha slop) and there is nothing worse than muddying up the bottom end while trying to look like a demi-god.

7. Fenwick

Fenwick

Dec 9, 2012
    Montreal
    Learn easy stuff. What you think is easy, isn't easy when you focus on consistency and tone.

8. I went the same route as you on guitar many years ago. Didn't bother with the a,b,c - went straight to learning Thin Lizzy guitar solos. After two years, I never made it with the solos and found that I couldn't even play a simple blues shuffle.

With the bass, I promised myself that I wouldn't make the same mistake so I started with and stayed with the basics. In a short time, I discovered that the more complex stuff became easier the more that I practised the basics and understood the alphabet grammar of the instrument.

Learning songs can be compelling for a beginner, but just as with language - if you have not mastered the essential components, how can you expect to express yourself fluently?

9. TotteryManx

TotteryManx

Jan 15, 2013
    I think you should SLOW DOWN. I've been playing for about as long as you, but played guitar for a long time before this. I understand you want to just go balls deep, but that can create bad habits and sloppy technique. Work on easier things first and like someone said above; use a metronome. Find exercises to work on at a tempo where its still clean and bump it up everyday.

10. Huge94

Huge94

Nov 22, 2009
    Montreal
    This. I'm in the same situation and it will help you in the long run.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021