Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Am I screwed?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by popinfresh, Sep 22, 2005.

1. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I got the callipers out, and my neck measures .7" at the nut (no fretboard on it of course).
    Just wondering if i've gone too thin? I have a stewmac 'hotrod' truss that I was going to use, but i'm tipping that's going to be too big now (Needs a channel depth of 7/16 and i'm not good with inches, lol)..
    But if I just get a basic one way truss that only needs a 3/16 or so deep cut, will I be ok? Or will the hotrod just work?
    I'm having the adjusment spoke/key up the bridge end of the neck, not the headstock end.

Thanks.

EDIT: If my calculations are right.. I'll have around 5/16 of neck wood left behind the truss rod at the nut if i use the hotrod.
    The necks also around .9" where it starts to join the body (it's NT).

2. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Take 7/16" away from 0.7" and you end up with slightly over 1/4"

3. My neck is .78" the whole way down (with the fretboard on). I start with the blank at .625" thick before carving. Like dlloyd said, you've got over 1/4" behind the truss rod as it is. This is a lot of wood, and you could go thinner still without any problems.

4. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Wicked. Just wanted to make sure, as it seemed to be getting pretty thin and I wasn't sure how much wood I needed behind the rod.

Thanks guys!