Am I the only one that hates Fruityloops?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Alright. I got a new mixer for christmas and have been recording covers just for giggles. I have fruityloops3, and instead of going downstairs and recording the drumtrack myself (my computer is so broken, I can't even play a cd in the CD-rom drive and not have it freeze up), so i decided to do a drumloop in fruityloops. I got it down, BUT I CAN'T GET THE GOD DAMN BPM to match up with the recording. The samples don't even sound real, and it's the worst drum machine software I have ever tried. Does anyone else feel the same way?
  2. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    I think it is cheesey as well. Unless you are doing electornic music I think Fruity Loops isn't good. There "sampled" real drum sounds are rediculus. The format is ok, I find Reason a lot easier, and better.

Have you made sure the BPM you export in Fruity loops is the same as in N-Track?

If you didn't record with a metrenome when recording then it is pretty pointless to try to sync the fruity loops tempo. Try making the drums in fruity loops first, then recording over the drums.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You're using the wrong program for your purposes. FL is geared towards electronic music.
    If you want realistic drums get something like Native Instruments' Battery (and a VSTi-capable host program) and a good sample CD, e.g. Mixtended or Drumkit From Hell.
  4. Jmx, the problem is I don't have any money, so I can't by the program you speak of
  5. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    If you do a search - how Talkbass was that- of the various Acid and sample related websites, you'll find a number of single-event drum samples that don't sound electronic. Real snares, toms, kicks and the like.

AFAIK, you need some sort of time stretcher or beat mapper like Acid has to get two tracks recorded at different times and in different ways to lock up right.
  6. Fruityloops acts like a sampler. The better the samples you use for your drum parts the better your patterns will sound. You could also "humanise" the drum parts so they don't sound *too* processed. No drummer plays parts that are that accurate ;)

As suggested try searching the web for other drum samples. Some magazines have cover CD's with samples on them - Computer Music (from the UK) is one example, but there are others. Also when you're putting together your track, try setting up a drum loop in FL first then recording your audio parts (bass parts?) over the top - using the FL generated loop for timing.

PS. Yes, you *are* the only person who hates Fruityloops. ;)
  7. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Not to steal the thread...but does anyone know of any good, linear drum sequencing software (as opposed to loop-based)?
  8. Greg R

Greg R

Mar 11, 2003
    Avonmore, ON
    I used to hate FL as well, but once I had some decent samples and played with it more I have found it to be a great program. I went to Yamaha's web site and downloaded samples of their latest drum kits. Sounds great to my ears. FL can be quite annoying if you try to put too much into one track. Try one drum per channel and see how that works out. I usually put cymbals in last and "humanize" the song as much as possible.
  9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Check out the new version - rewire capabilities, finally! :cool:
  10. andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    reason ownz j00

11. Sorry but Reason's a one trick pony.

FL pwns. ;)
  12. I tried PCDrummer before I downloaded and tried Fruityloops. Compared to PCDrummer, I found the Fruityloops to be very cumbersome to use. The PCDrummer was much more intuitive, user friendly for me.
  13. Krogolas

Dec 15, 2003
    Could somebody tell me how to record with that mother****er? I haven´t used the program and i´m having problems to understand the catch.
  14. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I use FL with Edirol fonts strictly for my take on Drum N Bass. I wouldnt dream of using it to recreate acoustic drumming. It's good for what it's made for...

I also like the "humaniser."
  15. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Are you being sarcastic?...

I hope so, Reason is amazing, you can automate anything.
  16. Yeah I was being sarcastic... :) Reason's an amazing piece of software. It is slightly more geared towards dance/electronica type of music, but the samplers and sound manipulation tools it gives are very useful elsewhere. The example files on FL Studio are still very electronica oriented which I think gives the false impression that that's all it can do. Steve Lawson's last album was recorded using FL Studio and Wavelab. Check out sampels at his website (

Krogolas - are you talking about recording with FL Studio or Reason or PC Drummer?? With FL Studio you need the Producer edition which allows you to record audio. Recording audio to Reason is less straightforward - I think you need to record to a third party audio editor then import it. If you're talking about PC Drummer then I'm afraid I'm out of my depth.
  17. Krogolas

Dec 15, 2003
    Thanks MKS
    I have the Fruity Loops studio version 4.
    Guess I can´t record with it?
  18. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Freaky, If you are trying to make it so your loops match up to another loop at the same BPM, use the tempo to adjust the speed that the the loop is going. It will not effect the sound, but it will make it so they match up better!

But, what do I know? :confused: :)
  19. I like the interface to Fruity Loops because of the way it lays out the 16 sixteenth notes in a measure(or however else you want it to lay out a measure). Using fruityloops actually made me learn to listen to drum parts more analytically.

I would like to have a more natural way of making multi-bar loops. But it's OK for that too. The samples that come with it are definitely not realistic, but that is not a problem.

There are a few sample search engines, that will scour the web for whatever it is you're looking for. for example.

Then you can use these in whatever program you like the interface of.

Or you can just find your own easily enough. Get any CD. Find an isolated drum hit. Snip it out and save it as a wave file. Be sure your new files starts exactly with the attack. This all should take a couple minutes maybe.
  20. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I think it's actually not bad as far as sequencers of that sort go.