Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amazing new robotic technology

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by nonsqtr, May 19, 2005.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
  2. tifa

tifa Padawan Bassist

Mar 8, 2005
    Blackburn, UK
    'In a test last month, two of the company's robots were able to decide for themselves which should enter a narrow passageway first. That's something that may be easy for people, he says, but has been hard for robots to master.'

:eek:

Thats amazing....... and a little frightening! Armed robots that can communicate? and the leaders talk to one another?

thanks for the link, interesting stuff! :)

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    So are we heading for a Matrix or Terminator type future?

4. tifa

tifa Padawan Bassist

Mar 8, 2005
    Blackburn, UK
    I'll go with Terminator :D

this reminds me of a story a couple of years ago, where a team of scientists managed to make a microchip communicate with a nerve cell.

Cyborgs, anyone? Man and machine combined! :eek:

so yeah, I'll go with that!

5. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    It's inevitable, IMO. Surely within our lifetimes we'll see the first fruits of genetic engineering and stem cell research, not to mention the advances in robotics. IMO self-determination is going to be the next logical step in biological evolution. I even wonder if that'll occur before deep-space travel. So, considering some of today's ethical arguments in those arenas, it leads me to wonder whether academics shouldn't be more concerned about the practical boundaries. :)

6. tifa

tifa Padawan Bassist

Mar 8, 2005
    Blackburn, UK
    'and then it became self-aware...'

I really want to watch Terminator now :D

7. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    yeah well they will always hate water! lol Got my super soker ready!

8. I REALLY don't like this. Seriously, I do think that it will end up with a war between humans and robots and since they are already making them so they recharge themselves then it will be the next step to make them fix each other, which leads to making each other/more. If you want to laugh at me for thinking this go ahead but I am telling you, this is a bad thing to let happen. :scowl:

Anyone have the number from the SNL commercial for robot insurance?

9. Head Creep

Head Creep

Nov 6, 2004
    Los Angeles
    This is yet another reason why I'm moving to Canada. Since the U.S. is going to be a major developer of these, the robots will ignore Canada, since they shouldn't see much usage in maple syrup and hockey.

Time to see if I still have my VHS copy of Terminator 2...

10. Oh poop that is awesome.

11. Actually you make a good point, I may move to Canada myself.

Remember, we don't have any real Jedi on our side to kill the robots, nor will we have any weapons that can compete with what the military supplies them with. :help:

12. Oh, that's great! Nothing quite like Sam Waterson in a comedic context....I'll be damned if a robot ever takes my medication!!!!!

13. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    I completely agree.

Now where did I leave that EMP module?

14. Yeah but knowing the military, they'll be heavy, fragile and not spectacularly efficient fuel-wise. So we just have to wait until they run out of gas and ammo.

15. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I recently read another article about a Japanese research team that created a fuel cell that could be charged with animal blood...

So they will be VAMPIRE robots....

16. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    [​IMG]

Oh, dear; oh dear.

17. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

You want to trade locations?

18. Haven't I read that they've come up with a way to use plant cells as memory devices. That's another crossover between digital and biological sytems. Just another brick in the wall...

So, from the Chia Pet we get a 100 terrabyte memory array disguised as tactical camouflage on the heads of our robotic army!

19. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US