1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amazing Tube Mic

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by BCAlbin, Apr 27, 2009.

1. BCAlbin

BCAlbin

Dec 7, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Did a recording session today here in Nashville. They miked my bass with a vintage (NOT "vintage reissue") AKG C12 large diaphragm tube condenser mic. All I can say is...WOW!!! I'm a lot happier with my double bass (early/mid 19th cent. German Flatback) than I previously thought I was! It was the best my bass has EVER sounded. I talked to the engineer about the mic and he said it had been bouncing around Nashville studios for many years. He mentioned a #1 Country song from the early 80's for which the mic had been used for vocals. He also mentioned that the studio had paid $12,000 for the mic...so I don't guess I'll be adding one to my home gear anytime soon. On my way out of the studio, I thanked the engineer for making my bass sound so great. He corrected me, "No, your bass made the mic sound great!" He was a nice guy but somehow I think it had a little more to do with the mic than the bass. Still, I think I'll hang on to the old girl a little bit longer.

-BCA

2. jsbarber

jsbarber

Jun 7, 2005
    San Diego
  3. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Although not quite as nice as an original C-12, the vintage AKG C-12A (which shares the same capsule as the C-12) can still be found occasionally for much more affordable prices. The C-12A can sound great for many acoustic instruments, including double bass.