1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amazon Deals WITH Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by tastybasslines, Mar 16, 2015.

1. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I am a frequent contributor of Amazon deals, but it is extremely frustrating to not be able to talk about the deals posted. I'm usually an active poster of deals, but I want to stop posting because the structure makes me feel angry - like all I'm doing is being a slave to the those who can't be bothered participating or are annoyed by the emails and only want to be "served" good deals with minimal effort on their behalf. They then come into the thread to remind others to only post deals, and those same people don't seem to ever post any deals themselves.

I've seen it mentioned by mods and members alike, that TalkBass is a place for all of us to enjoy and utilize. In that spirit, many of us enjoy talking about the deals as they arrive. It just does not seem to make sense to only be able to post a deal, and then if the price drops further on it, then you can only post that in the "Discussion Thread". Then, to maximize the deal, you would have to get email notifications for that thread as well, otherwise you would miss that too, and it amounts to even MORE work than just the notifications one gets for the "Deal Only" thread.

There is an existing "Deals Only" and "Discussion" thread already. The people that like those threads can continue to use them, and anyone wishing to post a deal there with minimal disturbance to others can obviously do so.

The only other option I'm aware of is posting a new thread for each new deal that pops up, and I don't think anyone wants that either.

This is a way for myself and many others who I know feel the same way to enjoy Talkbass more. And, although no one is obligated to, I will pledge (and hope others do too) to try to post deals posted here in the Deals Posts Only thread as well, so as not to bother those who are unable to handle the notifications.

I'll get it started with one. 12" combo amp for $90. Usually $149 everywhere else.

Amazon.com: Kustom Amps KXB20 20-Watt Bass Amplifier: Musical Instruments

Josh Randall, smperry, GregC and 2 others like this.
  2. dave79

dave79 Rest well Fish Supporting Member

Posting price drops or increases was never an issue in the other thread. Not trying to be mean or anything, I'm just saying.

3. Idiot Savon

Idiot Savon Tall, Dark, Handsome, etc., etc. Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2009
    New Haven, CT
    I'm not sure what the best approach is, but I feel a genuine need to discuss a purchase like a new bass or head. Reviews are great, but if someone pops up after a deal post and says "Hey, be careful...those tend to have quirky solder joints," I find it useful, not some immense breach of etiquette.

4. rockinb

rockinb

Jan 26, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    I agree with you comments and analysis. Thanks for voicing and posting this thread.

If I may make a suggestion. I think the other thread "Amazon Deals only" was meant for deals and DIRECT deal related posts such a price changes to original posts, price matching opportunities, coupons, etc. That kind of commentary / reply as it relates to pricing was always ok.

What they were trying to avoid in the "Amazon Deals only" thread was what I would call the INDIRECT "color commentary" such as: "nice bass!!", "I have one in black and love it except for ...." , "want to purchase because I have GAS bad" , "would purchase but wifey won't let me", etc. etc. I agree that there is a time and place for these comments (hence the "Amazon Deals Discussion only" thread), however, it is also nice to have a thread with just pricing posts / notifications.

Tastybasslines - since you started this thread, you are totally allowed to craft it to include / exclude whatever you want. I would just suggest you lay out the guidelines as specifically as possible and people will follow. Thanks again for posting.

5. dave79

dave79 Rest well Fish Supporting Member

A lot of my experience with Amazon is that you get factory seconds, returns, etc. that are not new items. It's always great to hear from people when they know that is the case about specific items. I, along with others apparently, expressed to the mod who started the thread that I was annoyed with the discussion about the discussion. I'd rather see people making comments then posting things like "we shouldn't be discussing this"...which is a contradiction in itself.

Idiot Savon and tastybasslines like this.
  6. This is the thread for me.

IMO, the deals only thread is the product of lurkers who missed out on the Aguilar deal. They subb'd to the thread to prevent that from happening again, then got annoyed by all the notifications that aren't the Aggie deal.

I wish we didn't have to take this so seriously.

7. Fred312b

Fred312b Proof that gear doesn't make you a better player Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    685538eb8d2aebe5c6acf20042678da4d895935e878caa07825cee215771b144.

I agree- I'm in on this! Here's a few:

- Aguilar DB810 White Hot Cabinet at $1394.98

http://www.amazon.com/Aguilar-DB-81...l-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1426601002&sr=1-122

- Not the best deal in the world. but these seem hard to find (MF is always out of them), so 11% off isn't bad

Ampeg Pro Neo 115 @$778.57 (was $879.99)

Amazon.com: Ampeg Pro Neo PN-115HLF Bass Amp Cabinet, 1x15-inch speaker cabinet , neodymium loaded, 575W RMS: Musical Instruments

- And don't get super excited, as it's just the cover (even though the pic is of the cab)

Aguilar DB 285JC cabinet (the Jack Casady one) cover at $57.92

Amazon.com: Aguilar DB 285JC Cabinet Cover: Musical Instruments

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  8. Idiot Savon

Idiot Savon Tall, Dark, Handsome, etc., etc. Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2009
    New Haven, CT
    ...actually, 9 times out of 10, that JC cover is a GS112 one when it gets to you. Had it happen three times. Finally took the hint, got a GS112.

9. Fred312b

Fred312b Proof that gear doesn't make you a better player Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Is enjoyment mandatory in this thread? I'm not opposed, but I want to know what I am signing up for.

Then it's not such a deal...

tkonbass and Idiot Savon like this.
  10. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Anything. I once missed a JamHub for $149 which I would have liked to have.

11. Tasty, how about making a rule no one is to take deals posted in your thread to the Deals Only thread.... that will learn em. There is no mobile TB app so, it is so simple to turn off your email notifications and check Hot Deals in the morning and and at night....

12. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I don't want to do that. I'm not battling anyone. I just want a thread where we can talk about the deals and about the products, and anything else Amazon related. One thread for anything Amazon related where there is no reason for anyone to feel that they can't post any observation or comment about things.

JoePlaysDaBass likes this.
  13. So now we have 2 competing threads to check for hot deals? Or are we going do be dealing with 2 threads with duplicate posts (sometimes, sometimes not), just one will have more filler between links?

Is this amazon only or are posts allowed for other sites?

14. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    There's just a bit too much chatter on here for my taste. I'm starting my own AMAZON DEALS WITH DISCUSSION NOT TO EXCEED TWO PARAGRAPHS thread.

15. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    This is for Amazon only.

The threads are not competing. This is for deals with discussion, which many people want.

The other is to post deals without discussion.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
    Fred312b likes this.
  16. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I don't see any need to make a trolling type comment. The Amazon original deals thread was like this one, until like JoePlaysdaBass pointed out, the Aggie deal came around.

If this is too much "chatter" for you, you can stick to the Deals Only thread.

17. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    It was a joke, lighten up.

18. Bitterdale

Bitterdale Natural Born Lurker

Dec 4, 2010
    Ocala, FL
    dave79 and tastybasslines like this.
  19. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned