ameg b4r problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hyperlitem, Jan 18, 2004.

1. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i am DEFINATELY not getting the volume out of my b4r that i should be. My 120 watt 12 in hartke kickback is blowing the doors off my ampeg volume wise and i dont knwo whats up. I have my b4r bridged to an ameg 6x10. I had the gain and volume a bit past halfway and i could barely be heard over a couple of guitar 2x10's with their volume 1/3 of the way up. I pused in the mono switch. Is there anything else i could be missing. Help me out guys.
  2. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I run my B4r the same way. The volume really doesn't start to crank until you get to about the 2 oclock position on the master volume. Then it gets loud in a hurry. Assuming your pre amp is set high enough so the red light just flickers on loudest notes. If you have the amp set to mono bridge and have the banana cable in the two red banana jacks on your power amp section, you are doing it right. I think if you just crank your master volume to the 2 or 3 oclock position you will hear a big increase in volume.
  3. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Do not buy into the myth that volume controls are somehow calibrated for "volume". They aren't.

The only thing you know for sure about any volume control is that turning it one way gets louder and the other way gets less loud. There isn't any other relation between the numbers and the loudness.

So, if your amp, ANY amp, isn't loud enough, first check your instrument to be sure its turned up and not muted, etc.

If that is OK, the tones are set at middle or boost settings, and the volume controls are all turned to "reasonable" settings between 5 and say 7 on a 10 scale, turn up the LAST volume control in the system (usually the master volume). If you run out of control range before it clips or gets loud enough, go back to the gain or volume control and turn that up too.

If one volume or tone control is set way low, try setting it up farther first. You have to provide enough signal to work with first, set tones later.

Look at the clip and limit lights to see that you haven't run out of power amp capability or preamp headroom.

That usually will get you to max clean volume, or prove it ain't happening with that setup.