Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

American Basses

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by The Antipop, Feb 12, 2005.

1. The book by Jim Roberts

Anyone else own this... I think I overpaid but I have to say it gives some pretty good insight on how certain companies started and such.

Go to your Library and get this book now

Anyone else have it though? Comments?

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I skimmed through it at Border's once, thought it was cool and put it on the "To Buy" list. I have never seen another copy since, :D oh well.

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

It is really a great informing book on the building perspectives of these talented bass builders.an extra plus for all the pictures, i guess it helps keeps my attention :D I am just suprised at how expensive books are now.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I picked it up in October over at The Bass Place in Phoenix (or some suburb ... Tempe?), and it is an excellent resource. Lots of cool folklore in there, and most of it seems accurate, from what I know of such things. Definitely worth buying.

5. I found there is quite a bit of basic bass building it there. Expensive but I can't believe how he got so much origin from so many builders

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

True, tons of information in this book.

7. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I've had this book for a while. There's some great stuff in there. I remember there was a section on which woods give which tone, I found that very interesting.

Graeme :bassist:

8. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Actually I don't have the book but all of my basses are american :p