American Deluxe Jazz V Fret Buzz D String Only - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Don41_2, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Don41_2

Don41_2 Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2012
    Raleigh, Nc
    I just picked up a used 2011 Fender American Deluxe Jazz V Bass and have noticed that the D string has strong fret buzz starting at fret 10 through 14. This is most notable when playing aggressive, making that area of the neck unplayable for certain music. A & E are fine.

The fret buzz appears to be from the lower frets since it still buzzes when I'm fretting a higher fret in that area (e.g., fret 10 buzzes when fret 12 is held).

Is this what is referred to as a "fret out"? I've never had this issue before with 10 previous basses, mostly used.

I've change strings and the problem still exists. I'm using .065 D string.

Set up is good, adjusted very close to Fender specs.

Thoughts? Twisted neck? Nut cut too deep for the D string? Fret work needed?

I appreciate any insights.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  2. Bloomfield

Bloomfield

Jan 21, 2020
    Nova Scotia
    The nut won't be the problem, as it sounds like you are fine with the open string and the first 9 frets. The frets in the middle may be high, but there is a good chance you just need a bit more relief. Backing off the truss rod slightly (1/8 turn or so) might just do the trick.

RSBBass likes this.
  3. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Adjusting the truss rod won't affect frets that high on the neck, the truss rod is for the first 4 or 5 frets. You need some fret work.

4. Don41_2

Mar 25, 2012
    Raleigh, Nc
    Thanks. I did try the neck adjustment but didn’t resolve the issue. Looking more like this bass needs some fret work.

5. Don41_2

Mar 25, 2012
    Raleigh, Nc
    It turned out to be the nut. D-String slot had worn way down due to heavy play by previous owner. To compensate, it appears he had allowed too much relief in the neck - which shifted the problem down lower on the fret board.

Took it to Greg Guitars in Southport, NC and he did a fantastic job fashioning a new bone nut. After that, a few tweaks to the truss rod nut and small height adjustments at the bridge and she plays beautifully. Thanks for your insights as I tried to diagnose this.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021