1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

American Deluxe vs American Standard P (advice?)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cygnus X-1, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Hey guys, I seek some advice on Fender's P bass. I currently own a 2007 Fender American Deluxe P bass in Amber with a rosewood fret board. It is a real sweet bass that compliments my passive jazz basses. As of late, I've been trying out a couple of new American standard P (08's). One in particular is candy red and has a maple fret board. It sounds and feels real nice.

Presently, I own 5 basses (4 Jazz and one P). To be honest, I am not looking to buy a new bass (and dropping 1k+ again), but many on this site hype the new 08's so much. That it makes me feel as though I am missing out on something real special. My music teacher said that with the deluxe P, my basses are covered. I tend to respect his opinion, but being of a fickle nature, I'd like to get some other opinions on this matter.

my American Deluxe P with an 08 American standard Jazz
    IMG_0178.gif

2. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Cornell , IL.
    Just a case of G.A.S. (gear aquisition syndrome). Your basses are already covered so to speak.

3. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I agree with eots. Buy a new bass if you want one, but you're probably fine with the Deluxe.

KO

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Another nod to keeping what you got. The Am Dlx P is a great bass, one of my favs.

5. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I agree that you've simply got GAS, however, I would disagree with your teacher regarding the P Deluxe...IMO I've never heard a P Deluxe that sounded like a genuine, passive P.

6. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    +1 I had an American Deluxe Precision ('99, ash/maple), and sold it to fund a 2004 American Series P, because the Deluxe just didn't produce classic P-bass tone to my ears. It was one of the best constructed and finished basses I've ever owned, but just didn't do it for me tone-wise. I'd suggest bringing your Deluxe to a shop, and compare directly to a 2008 American Standard. Or, perhaps install an active/passive switch and passive tone control on your Deluxe so you can get much closer to classic P-bass tone.

7. BigBassBob

BigBassBob

Jul 17, 2005
    Wales, UK
    I'd say keep the Deluxe. I've had my Fender American Deluxe P-bass V (amber with maple fingerboard) for years. Despite the basses I bought afterwards, it has remained as my main axe. I love that bass simply because it covers pretty much EVERYTHING, and even though it doesn't do the true p-bass sound, it comes pretty close. I hope I never have to part with it.

8. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    The 2008 American Standard P is a great version of a classic instrument, but no one says you're required to own a regular P-Bass. But, if you're looking for justification to treat yourself, I'll ALWAYS say go for it, 'cuz I'm self-indulgent myself!
    You're GASing for a great bass that would make you happy, but with what you currently have, it's no great loss should you decide to go without one.
    If you play one, love it, and can't live without it, then buy it. If not, you'll live.

9. Thanks for the advice guys. I love my American Deluxe P and maybe one day I may pick up the American Standard P. For now I am really enjoying the heck out of my American Standard Jazz and 24. As I get more familiar with tones I'll allow for my experiences to be the deciding factor.

Thanks again.

10. dean82

dean82

Aug 14, 2007
    Man I feel for you. GAS is a terrible thing, but at least you see it for what it is. My opinion is to keep the Deluxe as well, but the thing about GAS is that it comes down to you. There's probably no logical reason to get the '08, but if it's on your mind constantly, then decide if you can live without one of you other basses and use the new one in, old one out technique (it's worked for me..)

11. bonzo4880

bonzo4880

Sep 16, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    +1 to adding a active/passive switch. then you'll really be covered.

how is the jazz 24 treating you? im developing a little GAS for one, hopefully it will subside.

12. Funkdrawer4

Funkdrawer4 Registered Abuser

I'd also like to hear about the Jazz 24

13. troy2003

troy2003

Aug 29, 2007
    MN
    I have an '07 Deluxe P--this active/passive control--is it hard to put in?I imagine I would bring it to my repair guy-but it has got me thinking.I too am not totally satisfied with tones--the build,weight,neck,etc I couldn't be happier with.But tones-could be my amp too(BA-115 ampeg)Would this active/passive switch look like an afterthought,or look ike it was always there?

14. Pretty good, I must say. At first she suffered from mass fret buzz, but after a proper set up and a change of strings she is a much better bass.

15. JEBassman

JEBassman

Jun 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    Hi Cygnus,

I think you've got five excellent basses already. Enjoy them and try not to get caught up in GAS. I own a 2006 Fender American Deluxe P bass and it could easily be the only bass needed for any purpose. If you wanted a bass that was lighter / smaller than the Fenders you could consider a short scale bass, but if you're doing well with your Jazzes & P bass, then enjoy them and try to ignore the hype of new and boutique instruments. There is a lot of helpful information and discussion here on TB, and in the bass magazines, but there is a steady pressure to keep buying instruments. It's normal to want the shiny new stuff, but I'd say ignore the hype and concentrate on practicing. Enjoy your basses, and have fun making good music. :)

16. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I've heard that the Deluxe P doesn't nail a real passive P in the tone dept. That may well be true, as I've never owned a reg P. I need two pickups in all my basses, which is what attracted me to the Am Dlx P in the first place. Even though I believe what I've heard, I wouldn't rush out to get one of the new '08 P's, but a new Jazz is another thing. Since you've got your J's covered, who knows what form GAs will take next time around. Just thinking about the P tone myself, it's got me curious, but not enough to drop the bucks.

17. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Yup.

I feel like it's splitting hairs to say that the ADP doesn't "nail the P tone". It doesn't sound like a vintage P, but it's very close and I seriously doubt that most people could pick it out as not nailing it in a double blind test.

18. Thanks JE,

I think I'm just falling into the "Guy" trap. You know "always looking for something better" when what you have is great to begin with. Having smaller hands, I d find that the Jazz necks are much better for me. Having said that still, my American deluxe P is just great.

19. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    This is exactly the correct approach.

20. Well, after having the 08' Precision on my mind for the last 2 weeks and having played it in store and having the owner (who himself is a bass player/lover himself) properly set up the bass on monday. I caved in and picked up my new 08 american standard precision bass in candy cola red and maple fret board. Pictures will come later on tonight (if I can part with it long enough).

I originally wanted it in sunburst, but I already have two Jazz and one strat in that color. I figured a change would be refreshing. By the way, I still kept the American deluxe P. It is such a keeper.

G.A.S sucks!:crying::p :)

Ooops, I almost forgot, the owner knocked of $120. off the $1099. price. So $979 and $1037 after tax out the door.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021