Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by slapcracklepop, Oct 27, 2005.

1. slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    What are the differences between the American Big Muff and the Russian Big Muff. Also, which one did Cliff Burton use. (If you have the general settings he used also it would be helpful.)

2. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
  3. slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I also asked the difference between the Russian and American. Just not the Cliff Burton question. And that thread didnt answer which settings sound best for Cliff's sound..

Thanks for the info though
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Wish I could find my usual copy/paste answer about this. I've typed it so many times but I keep losing it.

The American pedal is the original, it's a reissue of Mike Matthews' original design from the late '60's and has gone a few facelifts and other small tweaks. The current version is true bypass and accepts a DC power adapter without modification. The tone is somewhat smoother and some pedals lose low end more than others.

When Mike Matthews started Russian production of the original pedals, the Big Muff was originally the Red Army Overdrive and is very sought after, but later changed the name back to the Big Muff and produced it in a big green, tank-like box using old military components and whatever could be found in Russia in the early '90's. These green Sovtek Muffs are considered to be one of the best fuzz boxes for bass without modification and run about $70-100 on the used market depending on condition. These carry a lot of variance in tone as well.

As recently as a few years ago, the Sovtek Muff was put in the current black box. These are more reliable than the green box version and have no DC adapter jack and rumors have it are now being made true bypass. I have not been able to confirm this. The tone on these tend to be grittier than the American Muff, but not as much as the old green Sovtek Muff.

As far as settings, twist the knobs til you sound like Cliff. His settings varied from song to song and will also depend on your bass and playing style.
  5. slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Thank you for your thorough response, I appreciate it