1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

American Special Precision and others

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sublab, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Saturday I went to a local music store trying out whatever basses they had in stock. First a white American Special Precision. Played through an Ampeg SVT head and through different speaker cabinets. From the very first note this Special sounded more raw than any other Precision I've played. A bit agressive even. I played it for about half an hour, then tried out a St Jazz, a Ray34, a Spector (3000 euro's, don't remember the type or name), St American Precision.

The Jazz immediately didn't feel like my type of bass, but this I already knew from past try outs. So after some noodling it went back on the wall. Then the Ray34: at firts the HB sounded great, construction felt very nice and a very solid overall impression. But after a while I felt it sounded too hi-fi, and eventually put it away again. Then the Spector, felt great too, but the preamp was so noisy and the small body, although beautifully constructed, didn't feel as if I could come to love it. At this point I felt a little disappointed, especially by the Spector. So I tried the American St Precision. Great bass and it played and sounded real good, yet it sounded more round and gentle than the Special Precision, so I hung it back on the wall and played the Special again.

Everything about this bass really made me GAS for it! The sheer simplicity, the beauty, but most of all the neck and SOUND!
    I know many prefer the St American, but not me.
    It sounds more raw and that's exactly what I missed in the St P. The neck is a breeze to play, although the store set up was not great.

This thing has balls, and I'm getting me one!

Thx

2. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    It's a very special day when we find that bass! I'm very happy for you that you have found yours.

3. Yep! THAT bass. It's weird though. I always felt very much attracted to double HB's for that thick sound, but this one split coil gave me so much pleasure, the Grease Bucket pre aswell, that I don't think I'll be needing something more versatile in a good while.

4. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Time & time again I see a P-Bass fitting most spots in modern music.
    I don't own one (shame on me) but feel I should.

5. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    I'm a huge P Bass fan, so take my feelings with a grain of salt, but I don't see needing anything but a P Bass for anything I play.

6. Popbumper

Popbumper

Jul 19, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    This is exactly why I bought the American Special P a few weeks ago. From the time I pulled it off the wall, it felt right. It is solid, light, attractive, has great action, is affordable, and is a "smooth operator" from the start. Been playing it every day, and love it. Get one!!!

Chris

7. jwj1701

jwj1701

Nov 17, 2011
    Lexington KY
    I like the greasebucket on a P bass as well. Seems a bit cleaner, if you will, not as muddy and hollow as a standard P. i have highway 1 jazz so I know how the technology sounds and I do plan on getting a special P myself sometime before the years out. I may be one of the few who likes the greasebucket. Especially on a precision.

8. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Anyway
    I do have an American Special Jazz, all stock except for the Hipshot BT7 bass extender. Solid black alder body with maple neck and fingerboard. But it neither plays nor sounds like my Oly white/tortoiseshell/rosewood American Standard Jazz that again, is all stock except for the Hipshot BT8 bass extender.

Cheers,
    Wallace

9. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    If at all possible, I'd go get it right now! If it's "the one", there's no guarantee that another one just like it will sound the same. You found one that spoke to you. Grab it before somebody else does...

10. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    Or at least put it on layaway.