Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

American Standard bridge position

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by tornadobass, Apr 18, 2005.

1. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    Of those of you playing an American Standard URB, do you position your bridge centered on the inner notches of the f-holes or closer to the fingerboard?

On mine, centering the bridge on the notches would produce a scale length of nearly 43.5". Mine is set up with the bridge a bit closer to the fingerboard, for about a 42.5" length.

That location also produces a D neck. At the notches, would that make it an Eb neck?

Any gain in tone or resonance with the longer scale?

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    changing the string length from 42.5" to 43.5" would move the stop position of the D on the G down the neck less than 3/8" of an inch.

The real issue with shortening strings by moving the bridge is structural. If the bridge is too far from the post, it can cause the top to sink.

Do you not have issues with the bowing and the bow hitting the upper bout?

3. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    At this point, the post has been set in relation to the bridge, so it's structurally supported. I don't know how this relates to the bass bar though.

I don't seem to be hitting the upper bout with the bow. And it's good to know that note positions wouldn't change all that much if the bridge was positioned by the notches.

Is 43.5" an unreasonable length? My BugBass is at about 41".