1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by theguy155, Nov 20, 2010.

1. theguy155

theguy155

May 31, 2009
    Whatsup everyone, I hope this message finds all you bassheads well on this Saturday.

I am looking for some advice on upgrading my rig. Mr current rig is a 100 W Fender Bassman '15, i also use a Zoom FX pedal with it.

I want to add to it, and was thinking about getting another nice used 15 cab with a nice used head. Maybe an 18 cab with a head. I guess I would have to use a Y connector to use both the bassman and whatever I add to it at the same time.

Do any of you guys use a setup similar to this? Recommended or no? I am just trying to weigh my options as originally I was thinking about just scrapping the bassman and getting a whole new 2 15" rig or something. Any ideas or advice on adding onto the 15" fender bassman?

Thanks a bunch guys, have a great weekend.:bassist:

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Depends on what your needs are.

I wouldn't do a second whole rig and a "Y" cable. A step or 2 up from yours would be a higher power combo 200-400 watts with the ability to add an extension cab to it or a medium power bass head 200-500 watts and 1 cab with the ability to add an extension cab. That'll usually mean a pair of 8ohm speakers. Some combo's have an internal speaker that's already the lowest ohm rating for the amp meaning you can't chain anything to it. Other's are made so you can plug in an 8ohm extension cab.

3. theguy155

theguy155

May 31, 2009
    outstanding, huge help, thanks very much

is there anything that would work well with the bassman via a Y cable?

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    If you're talking about putting the Y cable on your bass and pluging into the front of 2 separate amps, "it would work".

Plugging into one amp and using the "preamp out" and "poweramp in" or "effects send" and "effects return" jacks on the back of the amps to chain them together would be the better option. Most amps have them, don't know if yours does.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Consider this. What you have is a good practice amp. The next step up would be a gig worthy rig, something like a 300-500 watt head, paired with a decent sized spkr cab, 4x10, 2x12, 2x15, whatever. The bigger rig will slay the practice combo, so there's no need to Y them together, and besides, the big amp would drown the little one out anyway, so it would be pointless. Just shop around for rig that'll cover ALL your needs, and rock it.

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Probably the best advise.

How much bigger job do you need to do than what your current amp can do now?

And yeah, it'd be best to consider that amp your practice/rehearsal/small gig amp and get a medium power head and cab, with the ability to chain a second cab to it later. Everybody has a budget of some sort be it low or high. Used stuff is always a good way to get louder without breaking the bank. If you're trying to choose between high-end brands, it's all up to your ear.

Without some specific info on what your needs are, it likely won't narrow more than that.

7. fu22ba55

fu22ba55 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2009
    To echo the good advice above, the whole "two amps with a Y cable" only really makes sense if you are trying to do something really, really unique tone-wise. If you just need more power, a single more-powerful amp makes more sense than two rigs.

8. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx

+1

That works with keyboard players doing some ping-pong stereo effects or super tremolo dual Leslie thing but it can cause problems with the bass (low frequencies). If you have the amps stacked on top each other just to get fuller/louder, it negates the whole stereo thing and a more powerful stack makes even more sense.

9. theguy155

theguy155

May 31, 2009
    thanks again for all the advice guys, that helps alot, i dont really have *needs* per se right not, im not in a band currently, so this rig would be in my apartment for me to play <---another problem i must figure out

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx

You've got more than enough rig for playing in an apartment or doing home recording stuff right now. Look for a cheap used rig that works and let's get the band thing going.

11. theguy155

theguy155

May 31, 2009
    good idea will, LETS DO THIS!